Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
THE GIST
Playing shoot-'em-up video games strengthens a person's ability to translate sensory information quickly.
Unlike slower-paced video games, action games throw a rapid-fire series of unpredictable threats and challenges at players.
Players get tutored in detecting a range of visual and acoustic evidence that supports speedy decisions.

Quote:
Don't tell that guy blasting rampaging zombies to smithereens in his favorite video game that he's getting lessons in efficient decision making.

Wait until he's done to deliver this buzz kill: Playing shoot-'em-up, action-packed video games strengthens a person's ability to translate sensory information quickly into accurate decisions. This effect applies to both sexes, say psychologist Daphne Bavelier of the University of Rochester in New York and her colleagues, even if females generally shun video games with titles such as Dead Rising and Counter-Strike.
http://news.discovery.com/tech/video...on-making.html

·
Audio File
3,815 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatTheHeo View Post
Enhances the decision making for some people on whether or not to kill your own family members.
Uhm. What.

·
Banned
8,748 Posts
Quote:

Enhances the decision making for some people on whether or not to kill your own family members.
we dont need people like you here. mmk

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Sure, video games increase hand eye coordination and uses problem solving skills, but they have a lot of bad things about them that I quit caring about because I love games. I say to hell with the consequences, I'll do what I want.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Quote:

Weak attempt at making a joke? Or are you being serious?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Somehow I am not surprised. Good read though.

·
Registered
987 Posts
It doesn't "enhance" decision making. It makes it so you can make decisions faster. don't mean you make the right decision, just that you'll make a choice faster.

You can still make the wrong decision, you just will do it faster.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyder View Post
It doesn't "enhance" decision making. It makes it so you can make decisions faster. don't mean you make the right decision, just that you'll make a choice faster.

You can still make the wrong decision, you just will do it faster.
This sorta kinda, like military stuff (I dont want to retype the story about my friend but i'll quote it )

Ninja Edit: Nevermind i couldnt find it but a friend of mine was in booot camp and his Drill Sarge. or whoever made them play First Person Shooters 3 times a week for 30 minutes each time and he said it was to let them relax a bit but when the graduated from Boot Camp he said it was because it improved their reflexes and team work

·
Registered
408 Posts
I feel like playing twitch video games for nearly all of my life has made me a better driver, also. Like I can react faster because I am accustomed to reacting quickly to stimuli.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts