Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
A pregnant Tyrannosaurus rex has been found, shedding light on the evolution of egg-laying as well as on gender differences in the dinosaur.

The remains also could contain the holy grail of all dinosaur fossils: DNA.

"Yes, it's possible," Lindsay Zanno told Discovery News, referring to genetic material that may be present in this as well as similar dinosaur finds. "We have some evidence that fragments of DNA may be preserved in dinosaur fossils, but this remains to be tested further."
Source

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if there will be an amusement park to see this.....

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
They should be able to trace who the father is.

• Rep+
Reactions: icanhasburgers

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have always been curious, and please pardon my ignorance, about how our current oxygen levels would affect it's ability to exist and survive if by a miracle one was created through taken DNA samples, and lots of magic. Would it be comfortable under our atmospheric conditions, or would it struggle and possibly die off due to the stark, lesser of atmospheric conditions of our own today?

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Anyone here has an island to sell for an Amusement Park?
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
not about the t.rex in the OP, but a discussion on the medullary bone in the pterosaur and how it might not have been related to fertility/egg laying for that species.
really, just more info on the bone and what it means/does due to them having to say why the pterosaur would have used it differently.

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep06253

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanhasburgers View Post

I have always been curious, and please pardon my ignorance, about how our current oxygen levels would affect it's ability to exist and survive if by a miracle one was created through taken DNA samples, and lots of magic. Would it be comfortable under our atmospheric conditions, or would it struggle and possibly die off due to the stark, lesser of atmospheric conditions of our own today?
first of all, if we were to "create" one, it would definitely be living, growing up in conditioned environment, so I don't see how it should feel uncomfortable, unless our historical geography researches failed real hard.

In the more serious sense, if you were talking about releasing these dinosaurs into the wild, I don't see why they should feel uncomfortable either as long as they are really far away from civilization. The Earth doesn't seem to have changed much in the grand scheme of things, a few degrees hotter and that's about it.....

I mean, if Huskies can survive in the summer of south east Asia (provided that they get AC sometimes), I don't see why dinosaurs should get all upset about small changes in their original habitat unless the dinosaur species used to live in San Francisco bay area.

·
Premium Member
7,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisLam View Post

first of all, if we were to "create" one, it would definitely be living, growing up in conditioned environment, so I don't see how it should feel uncomfortable, unless our historical geography researches failed real hard.

In the more serious sense, if you were talking about releasing these dinosaurs into the wild, I don't see why they should feel uncomfortable either as long as they are really far away from civilization. The Earth doesn't seem to have changed much in the grand scheme of things, a few degrees hotter and that's about it.....

I mean, if Huskies can survive in the summer of south east Asia (provided that they get AC sometimes), I don't see why dinosaurs should get all upset about small changes in their original habitat unless the dinosaur species used to live in San Francisco bay area.
Erm so...Wow. Do you science at all?

Conditioned environment or not all of the food this being has evolved to consume has evolved well beyond what it actually consumed - Nutrients, enzymes - The entire ecosystem has changed dramatically since the Cretaceous.

Releasing it into the wild? Seriously? Talk about a devastated ecosystem in it's entirety...Deer population, gone. Whatever else existed there, gone. Could you even imagine the amount of food a fully grown Trex would require just to function?

A few degrees is EVERYTHING. So yes, in the grand scheme of things, the earth has changed DRAMATICALLY.

Dinosaurs also regulated their own body temps - Thermoregulation - It's widely agreed that Trex's especially, had the ability to actually regulate their own body temperatures...Comparative to the Husky that relies on it's owner to regular the ambient for them.

I pray the quoted post was satirical...I really do.

·
What should be here ?
5,725 Posts
French omelette with toast on side.

·
Iconoclast
30,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanhasburgers View Post

Atmospheric O2 levels peaked way before the dinosaurs showed up. Indeed, in the late Cretaceous, O2 concentrations may well have been lower than today.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/11/131118081043.htm

Of course, even if some DNA is intact and that's a huge if for a 65 million year old fossil, it's almost certainly going to be badly degraded. That we'd have enough to reconstruct the DNA of the whole creature is virtually inconceivable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

Conditioned environment or not all of the food this being has evolved to consume has evolved well beyond what it actually consumed - Nutrients, enzymes - The entire ecosystem has changed dramatically since the Cretaceous.

Releasing it into the wild? Seriously? Talk about a devastated ecosystem in it's entirety...Deer population, gone. Whatever else existed there, gone. Could you even imagine the amount of food a fully grown Trex would require just to function?
The ecosystem has certainly changed dramatically, but neither nutrition nor atmospheric oxygen level would likely be a major issue in keeping a hypothetical T-rex clone/recreation alive.

Probably wouldn't survive in the wild very long though. Might eat something toxic to it, would certainly have trouble finding game in many areas, and if it wasn't hit by traffic, someone would eventually see it and shoot it.

·
Premium Member
7,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

The ecosystem has certainly changed dramatically, but neither nutrition nor atmospheric oxygen level would likely be a major issue in keeping a hypothetical T-rex clone/recreation alive.

Probably wouldn't survive in the wild very long though. Might eat something toxic to it, would certainly have trouble finding game in many areas, and if it wasn't hit by traffic, someone would eventually see it and shoot it.
I disagree - Nutrients and proteins have evolved to the point of where I don't think it'd adapt. Especially on it's diet.

What's it going to do? Eat 10000 rabbits a day? Chase deer?...

Shoot it with what?

It's been theorized that a 50cal would barely penetrate...Going to break out the 20?

...Seriously...Going to see it and shoot it...Yeah, let's piss off the dinosaur with a 45...Or, let's piss it off even more with a 308!

That's genius.
rolleyes.gif

Darwinism of the redneck population right there.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts