Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
THE GIST
  • The long-held assumption that too many slackers spoil the broth for everyone turns out not to be true in all cases.
  • Mixed communities of hard-working yeast and loafers can outgrow cultures in which all yeast contribute equally.
  • Changing environmental conditions can alter the way organisms interact with each other.
Cheaters may not only prosper, they can make life better for everyone else too, a new study of cooperation in yeast reveals.
Common wisdom and scientific research on cooperation agree that the world is a much better place when everyone pulls their own weight, says Laurence Hurst, an evolutionary systems biologist at the University of Bath in England and a coauthor of the new study. That notion, known as the conspiracy of doves, has "largely gone untested because it was so obviously right," he says.

http://news.discovery.com/human/slac...y-society.html

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond View Post
if i was yeast. i would be doing it right.

but im not

xD

·
I heard you were dead...
8,475 Posts
Yes! My life might finally MEAN SOMETHING!!!!!1!!!one!!!1!!!!11

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm gonna quit school and get a shirt that says "Hey world! I'm a loafer! I R contributing!"

·
Introibo Ad Altar Dei
2,064 Posts
What the hell does yeast have to do with technology? Yeast is as old as Moses.

I'm starting to notice a new trend in OCN news threads, stuff completely unrelated to technology, just for the sake of posting, it's getting a little old.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
"He who does not work, neither shall he eat."

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chemicalfan View Post
My mind went immediately to Linux when I read the title of this article
Me 2

I was like WTH?!?! What about Slackware?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomagenesis View Post
What the hell does yeast have to do with technology? Yeast is as old as Moses.

I'm starting to notice a new trend in OCN news threads, stuff completely unrelated to technology, just for the sake of posting, it's getting a little old.
Technology and Science News. See that word in bold? Yeah. Not to mention that things can be adapted to technology. Maybe we can add some tech to another tech that mooches off the good tech and subsequently helps the good tech produce more? It wouldn't be the first time, or thousandth time for that matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts