Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never played the game, but I heard its a MUST-PLAY for Deus Ex and Thief fans. I was just checking out comparison videos between Xbox One and PS4 Definitive version and PC normal version. Console's Definitive version looks much better in many places and uses effects not available on PC version, such as better AO and Parallax mapping.

Is there some mod or something out there that can enable Definitive Edition effects on the PC version? I realize that graphics isn't very important in this game, but I'd still love to see some eye candy running it with NVidia DSK 4K to 1080p downscaling!

Or should I just wait for Dishonored 2???

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
No plans.

As for mods, there are .ini tweaks and ReShade / SweetFX to add a bunch of effects.
Amazing game. I played it with no modifications and loved every second. The DLC's are also excellent!

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
AO is available on PC. You need to use this flag: 0x0000002F. Likewise, SGSSAA works with 0x080000C1.

Don't just wait for Dishonored 2, it's a continuation of the story. I know you tend to prioritize graphics over story but you shouldn't. Just keep in mind that Dishonored is not meant to look realistic, it utilizes a "painted" art style and it's actually quite beautiful.

So definitely play Dishonored and if you like it, get Dishonored 2 as well. The lore is awesome, with similar writing style to the classic Thief games. Use SGSSAA and HBAO+. Remember to explore every inch of every location, there is an insane amount of detail and many hidden areas on every level. Even more than Thief Gold and Thief 2. It's more open than both and emphasizes creativity in combat more than every action game other than Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic (same developers). You can stealth the entire game or not, it actually has outstanding combat so you don't have to stealth it like the Thief games (which have terrible combat so you pretty much have to use stealth). Dishonored also reacts to your actions in several ways.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

AO is available on PC. You need to use this flag: 0x0000002F. Likewise, SGSSAA works with 0x080000C1.

Don't just wait for Dishonored 2, it's a continuation of the story. I know you tend to prioritize graphics over story but you shouldn't. Just keep in mind that Dishonored is not meant to look realistic, it utilizes a "painted" art style and it's actually quite beautiful.

-snip-
Use Gedosato and downsample from like 5K, use the .ini tweaks and SweetFX. Last time I used Nvidia's DSR it wasn't as good as Gedosato in terms of image quality and number of options. NV Inspector is okay, but I found Gedo easier to use overall if you're looking to play some slightly older games with superior image quality.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Probably my most disappointing game of last-gen. I heard that I'd really like it since I'm a huge BioShock fan, but this was just... eh.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsonate View Post

Use Gedosato and downsample from like 5K, use the .ini tweaks and SweetFX. Last time I used Nvidia's DSR it wasn't as good as Gedosato in terms of image quality and number of options. NV Inspector is okay, but I found Gedo easier to use overall if you're looking to play some slightly older games with superior image quality.
SGSSAA isn't DSR. Downsampling is a lot more simple than true supersampling. GeDoSaTo downsampling at its best just uses a Lanzcos rescaling filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest2000 View Post

Probably my most disappointing game of last-gen. I heard that I'd really like it since I'm a huge BioShock fan, but this was just... eh.
Whoever told you that is an idiot. The game has virtually nothing in common with Bioshock. That's a common comparison though, typical gamers make the most senseless comparisons.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Dishonored has been the single best new IP of '10s in my book. Outstanding. Graphics are meh from a tech standpoint but the art direction is top notch - the models in particular have an el greco essence in them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:

SGSSAA isn't DSR. Downsampling is a lot more simple than true supersampling. GeDoSaTo downsampling at its best just uses a Lanzcos rescaling filter.
Maybe I wasn't clear -- the tool, Gedosato -- is easier to use cause nowadays you typically just install it and run it. Then turn on your game and the options are there. NV Inspector is slightly more involved. Guess it seems like I am saying the image quality is better, but that's not what I meant.

If you're more comfortable with NVI, then go ahead and do it that way.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsonate View Post

Maybe I wasn't clear -- the tool, Gedosato -- is easier to use cause nowadays you typically just install it and run it. Then turn on your game and the options are there. NV Inspector is slightly more involved. Guess it seems like I am saying the image quality is better, but that's not what I meant.

If you're more comfortable with NVI, then go ahead and do it that way.
GeDoSaTo may be slightly easier, but enabling SGSSAA in NVIDIA Inspector when you already know which bits to use is easy enough for dummies. MonarchX actually knows how to enable SGSSAA and HBAO+ in Inspector so he's good to go.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Quote:

Whoever told you that is an idiot. The game has virtually nothing in common with Bioshock. That's a common comparison though, typical gamers make the most senseless comparisons.
Yeah, it came from the gaming community, as in I saw it all over the place
mad.gif

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

So definitely play Dishonored and if you like it, get Dishonored 2 as well. The lore is awesome, with similar writing style to the classic Thief games. Use SGSSAA and HBAO+. Remember to explore every inch of every location, there is an insane amount of detail and many hidden areas on every level. Even more than Thief Gold and Thief 2. It's more open than both and emphasizes creativity in combat more than every action game other than Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic (same developers). You can stealth the entire game or not, it actually has outstanding combat so you don't have to stealth it like the Thief games (which have terrible combat so you pretty much have to use stealth). Dishonored also reacts to your actions in several ways.
Not necessarily. None of my favorite games of all times, original Deus Ex, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate II, Planescape: Torment, The Longest Journey 1 & 2, Syberia I & II, had the best graphics when they were released and I play them still.

I simply like to be very efficient SQUEEZE everything possible out of my PC's (high stable OC with low-cost efficient coolers and mid-range components + other things), displays (off-settings poor color accuracy of my FG2421 with ReShade LUT's to achieve above IPS-level color accuracy without IPS Con's + other things), software (disable every little insignificant useless thing in OS to preserve each CPU cycle for gaming + other thing), and games (maximize graphics eye candy by whichever means, such as using in-game AA with ReShade's FXAA / SMAA + LumaSharpen combo to achieve the least amount aliasing and maintain sharpness while preserving good framerate OR utilizing ReShade's / ENB's Dither + ReShade's Colored Grain to increase low-res graphics detail without having to use DSR and thus preserving higher FPS + a ton of other things). I hope you get the kind of person I am. To summarize: I am rarely-if-ever late to work or appointment or where I need to be, but I arrive ON-time, not 15 or even 10 minutes earlier
biggrin.gif
. Efficiency is what I do for a living and is the best and utmost useful tool when it comes to life balancing and making the best out of what you got or can get. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PeesW-UoqY ... "...and that's what I do!" . "I can't make it any clearer than that" in explaining how I treat the whole video game graphics, performance, story, etc.

P..S. Right at about 1 minute and 40 seconds into that YouTube video, there's a part that shows the "big" difference optimization creates and that is practically identical to the in-game performance "difference" I get from tweaking OS *ROFLMAO in tears* - Sorry.., Six Sigma Humor,
biggrin.gif

Off-topic:
If I by chance wouldn't have discovered this profession, I'd be stuck with something so incredibly boring like Finances or Accounting. Believe it or not but it was the burning drive to get as many 3DMark points and FPS in games as possible through tweakage back in 3DMark2000 & Quake 3/UT days (when OS tweaks actually helped) that got me onto my current career path and yet they say gaming doesn't do anything good for you (in terms of success in life)!

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Dishonored will let you squeeze some of the best out of your PC. For example, even with 2x SGSSAA and HBAO+ you'll be able to run it maxed out at a constant 120 FPS, thus letting you slap on V-Sync and enable Turbo240 to get ideal motion clarity. Dishonored is quite skill based and benefits a ton from something like 120 FPS + backlight strobing.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh WOW! It looks really gorgeous for its age. The art more than makes up for low-resolution textures, but with AdaptiveSharpen, LumaSharpen, Dither, and Colored Grain, the game looks fabulous as long as I use 4K to 1080p DSR downscaling. The graphics is the least awesome thing. The story and gameplay are top-notch! I can finally let Fallout 4 rest for a while!

Thanks soo much for advising me to get this game!

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Enjoy it! I really need to replay it. Also, while the game is 16-20 hours long for people like me who take their time and explore everywhere (seriously do this, incredible level detail), you'll have another 8-10 hours after you're done thanks to the two expansions (The Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches). The expansions even have different weapons and abilities because you play as someone else.

You might not realize the extent of what you can do in this game combat wise, so it might be wise to take a peak at a few YouTube videos of highly skilled players in action. Even if you're playing the game without ever getting into combat (which you can).

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

Enjoy it! I really need to replay it. Also, while the game is 16-20 hours long for people like me who take their time and explore everywhere (seriously do this, incredible level detail), you'll have another 8-10 hours after you're done thanks to the two expansions (The Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches). The expansions even have different weapons and abilities because you play as someone else.

You might not realize the extent of what you can do in this game combat wise, so it might be wise to take a peak at a few YouTube videos of highly skilled players in action. Even if you're playing the game without ever getting into combat (which you can).
I loved every second of Brigmore Witches. Best DLC for a game ever!

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

I loved every second of Brigmore Witches. Best DLC for a game ever!
Hah. My number one favorite game of all time is actually an expansion/DLC, and that is Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (30-40 hour RPG heavily inspired by Planescape: Torment). Hell, that and the Storm of Zehir expansion for the same game (neither are standalone) do various things better than every other RPG on the planet. Only a few other RPGs have as much role-playing as them.

But no doubt Brigmore Witches and also The Knife of Dunwall are of equal quality to the main game. Just more of the same greatness. Can't wait for the sequel. I hope I can run it at over 100 FPS maxed out since games like Dishonored really benefit from the smoothness.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

Hah. My number one favorite game of all time is actually an expansion/DLC, and that is Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (30-40 hour RPG heavily inspired by Planescape: Torment). Hell, that and the Storm of Zehir expansion for the same game (neither are standalone) do various things better than every other RPG on the planet. Only a few other RPGs have as much role-playing as them.

But no doubt Brigmore Witches and also The Knife of Dunwall are of equal quality to the main game. Just more of the same greatness. Can't wait for the sequel. I hope I can run it at over 100 FPS maxed out since games like Dishonored really benefit from the smoothness.
Hey, I've never heard of those games / DLC's but I will check them out!
As for Dishonored, a great game! DLC's were cool and I loved the design and gameplay. I've even named my mouse after Corvo. I will be closely following Dishonored 2's development.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts