Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom is getting a "disk read error" on her computer so I ripped the HDD out and booted it with my computer and still received (different cable used) the same error. So I booted into windows using another HDD and used the one showing the error as a back up. When Windows starts it says that it has to check for "consistency" and runs a disk check. In BIOS it shows the disk, but in Windows I cannot get the HDD to show (disk management). I am thinking I need to do a zero out (and clear the MBR) and reinstall Windows.

I just want to confirm. I would like to recover the data before I do this but haven't a clue how.

Thanks.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
what model HDD is it, and how old is it? thats the first thing

second, in windows, if its a western digital drive, plug it in, download the western digital diagnostic software, and run an extended smart test on the drive, if it returns bad read/write, or bad anything else, she need a new drive, if not, proceed to reinstall windows

data recover im not sure, cause if windows doesnt show the drive, i dont think there is a way

worse comes to worse you could just reinstall windows, it shouldnt wipe her files if you do, do not zero the drive if she needs the data

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Do you have any emergency bootup disk, like Hiren's one, around?
Have you tried torun chkdsk for that disk?

I have one HDD that does not want to boot to Windows no matter what I tried, but when I tried to run chkdsk on it, somehow it can boot into Windows and function again.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Run chkdsk on the hard drive. Either by booting from the OS boot disk and running it from the recovery console or by putting the drive into another machine and running it from command prompt on that machine.

Also, keep in mind that if you initialize a disk it will wipe the disk.

Another thing is, this error typically comes up when the hard drive is failing or has failed. I wouldn't use this drive any more as it is not reliable.

After you've ran chkdsk hopefully it will repair the errors so that you can access the disk to recover data.

Other then that there is nothing else you can really do.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
If Windows does not show it in disk management, the disk is likely dead. (And to the best of my knowledge, there is nothing you can do.)

Good new, most hard drive companies if you send the old broken hard drive back, they will give you like 25-50% off the price of a new one.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I was able to get windows to see the Disk but now every time I try and get into it I get a "Error Performing inpage operation". It also seems to have 0 free space and 0 used space.

I downloaded WD Life guard and scanned it, tried to repair bad sectors but I got an error while repairing and it failed.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Yea not much you can do, I'd try to recover any data you still can while it's still powering up but you need to replace the drive, that one is toast.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcsarge
View Post

what model hdd is it, and how old is it? Thats the first thing

second, in windows, if its a western digital drive, plug it in, download the western digital diagnostic software, and run an extended smart test on the drive, if it returns bad read/write, or bad anything else, she need a new drive, if not, proceed to reinstall windows

data recover im not sure, cause if windows doesnt show the drive, i dont think there is a way

worse comes to worse you could just reinstall windows, it shouldnt wipe her files if you do, do not zero the drive if she needs the data

wd400jd-75hka1

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy476
View Post

You cannot run Sata 3.0 on Sata 150 right? I think her mobo only supports the Sata 150 interface.

Yes you can. Sata 3.0 is backwards compatible.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
You could drag + drop, or use xcopy command in command prompt. Or if you want something that has a gui you can use karen's replicator.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I fixed it enough where I can access it if I boot windows why my HDD and use it as a slave. So I thought I would try and boot it, it makes it past the error message but just BSOD's when it tries to go into Windows. I bought another HDD and used WD's cloning software and I still get the same result; no error message but BSOD when Windows tries to boot.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I was able to fix it. I cloned the old HDD to the new one and then used the XP repair feature. So it seems it was a system problem though the HDD did seem to have errors and bad sectors.

Even though I think I could have repaired the old one and saved $60 eventually I think it would have happened again or worse.

So I'm out $60 but my mom goes from 40gb to 500gb so.....

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy476;13087218
OK I was able to fix it. I cloned the old HDD to the new one and then used the XP repair feature. So it seems it was a system problem though the HDD did seem to have errors and bad sectors.

Even though I think I could have repaired the old one and saved $60 eventually I think it would have happened again or worse.

So I'm out $60 but my mom goes from 40gb to 500gb so.....
Yes you definitely needed to do a repair install for the simple fact that the hard had bad sectors on critical system files. You're not out 60$ because that hard drive is only good for a paper weight any more. It's only a matter of time before the hard drive completely failed.

You did the right thing by replacing it and cloning the drive.
thumb.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts