Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not realize how much difference monitor cleaning can make until I cleaned up mine fully. I am not talking about just removing dust, but cleaning all the smudges and other stuff. Thing is, I keep my displays clean, never touching them, not eating food close to them, not sneezing on them, etc. The end result of cleaning was so awesome. Uniformity and colors became clearer and actual games started to look better.

I tool a tiny bit of 90% alcohol and placed it in one of some small mini-cups that come with Pepto Bismal. Then I added really warm water. I would say alcohol to water ratio was somewhere around 1:10. I removed all dust with soft cloth (for contact lenses), but that dis not get rid of smudges no matter how much pressure I applied. Then I took 1 cotton ball and placed it in that mini-cup, squeezed to remove most of the fluid and carefully cleaned both of my displays. Then I took a dry cotton ball and removed the moisture from my displays. That removed all the dirt smudges, but left traces of alcohol cleaning all over display screens. I proceeded to use soft cloth for contact lenses to get both screens shiny.

Queations:
- Why would cleaning my displayals that way would improve clarity by so much? It was not that dirty to begin with. It had 2 smudges and dust, which I removed weekly...
- Was my method of cleaning safe? It did not remove any screen protection covers, but do not think either of the displays had such covers.
- How do you clean your displays?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,783 Posts
I believe the safest and best way to clean monitor and TV screens is use just distilled water and a clean, lint free cloth like a microfiber cloth.
Using alcohol is a no no because it can damage the screen in some cases.
 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,664 Posts
I always use one towel with warm water, and a dry towel to dry the water off. You don't want to let the water dry up on the screen. You want to use lint free towels. You also don't want to use harsh chemicals.

Personally I try not to clean my screens too much.

*Don't clean your screen with circular motions. You want straight lines. Still, couldn't help but think of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
All you need is windex paper towel spray on paper towel so it don't run down screen if screen is on/warm it will evap instantly and leave no streaks.
And no windex will not ruin screen been doing this for years not single issue
 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

I find circular motion to clean better than straight lines...
That's because your buffing the screen. You're also likely to imprint circular marks into the screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

That's because your buffing the screen. You're also likely to imprint circular marks into the screen.
Ah, nope, I keep on doing it and it removes all circular marks. I used a flashlight to from just about every angle to make sure. If you do it with straight lines, then you will leave straight-line marks...
 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

Ah, nope, I keep on doing it and it removes all circular marks. I used a flashlight to from just about every angle to make sure. If you do it with straight lines, then you will leave straight-line marks...
Why do you always ask dumb questions if you think you already know the answer?

The information is out there and available. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say it's common sense not to use rubbing alcohol and buffering motions on your screen. Yet you do it anyway and then defend the practice in spite of every resource available warning against it.

Google is your friend bro.
rolleyes.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,300 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Why do you always ask dumb questions if you think you already know the answer?

The information is out there and available. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say it's common sense not to use rubbing alcohol and buffering motions on your screen. Yet you do it anyway and then defend the practice in spite of every resource available warning against it.

Google is your friend bro.
rolleyes.gif
Actually, I was advised to use a little bit of alcohol on these very forums. I used a LITTLE BIT of alcohol and it never damaged a thing. I ask questions to verify because opinions obviously differ. For example, I'd never use Windex on my screen based on my experience. Most advice on the internet suggests using soft cloth, but it doesn't get rid of everything.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top