Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a S-video cable today in order to be able to utilize the S-video port on my 8800gt to view streaming video on my standard definition tv. Initially everything looked good, but quickly changed. The image displayed on the T.V. seemed to be distorted, as if magnet had been placed next to it. I checked all my settings and everything was fine. The t.v. screen then changed to grey, and the magnet distortion was gone, shortly after this my computer monitor also went grey.

So now I have unplugged the T.V. and updated my drivers to find that my monitor is still grey in windows. A brief moment as the drivers were installing I got color, but vanished quickly. When I scroll down on webpages, my screen sort of flickers, I know the monitor is fine, I had full color on boot up, as soon as I get to the welcome screen it turns grey.

Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? In the meantime, im gonna try and run a game and see what happens, I suspect my video card is dying, even though I have never overclocked it beyond factory overclock settings, and it has never overheated.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Yes, that was probably the the last straw for your video card.

"Oh no, not S-Video!!!".....croak.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, Idk what the deal is. I pulled it out and reseated it just to rule out that. The card is only 2 years old so I wouldnt think that it would be dead so soon, but who knows. Just for giggles I moved the monitor cable to the other DVI output, and magically I got all my color back. Talk about messed up.

I have no idea what the problem is with this card.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Sounds like you lost a DVI port at the same time

At first i was going to say bad s-video cable but then i read you lost it on your monitor too, Sad :<

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
never had something like this happen to me, ill have to try my card on my friends rig and see if he gets the same result.

An upgrade is on the horizon anyways, I plan on picking up a Sapphire HD5770 within the next week or so.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just remembered that I registered the card when I got it. Being that BFG has a lifetime warranty on their cards, I could either get it fixed for free, or get a new card, most likely a GTS250.

We shall see what support has to say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts