Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon I will buy a new monitor (1080p - 72hz) with display port port and I need to buy a DP cable. Can I buy just like with HDMI cheapest cable or do I need to choose good brand? What version to buy? In future I will switch to some 4k or 2k - 144hz so it would be good for cable to be futureproof....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
Digital is digital. It just has to meet the specification and have enough bandwidth for your application. In regards to display port, I believe there is only one current cable that covers all display port revisions. So, any new cable should work.

This is not the case with HDMI cables. Early HDMI cables may not have enough bandwidth for 4K at high frame rates or HDR.
 

·
Meep
Joined
·
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBox View Post

Soon I will buy a new monitor (1080p - 72hz) with display port port and I need to buy a DP cable. Can I buy just like with HDMI cheapest cable or do I need to choose good brand? What version to buy? In future I will switch to some 4k or 2k - 144hz so it would be good for cable to be futureproof....
Any decent enough one will do, just avoid the super cheap nameless ones.

Something in the range of the amazon basics cables should be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also my monitor will have freesync, I read that version 1.2a and after support freesync. So 1.2a will be enough? 1.3 version are for 4k 120hz which I won`t use for next 20 years...
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

Any decent enough one will do, just avoid the super cheap nameless ones.

Something in the range of the amazon basics cables should be fine.
This is good advice. I bought a no name cheap cable and mine split at the connector. Had to use electrical tape to hold it together. Also look at Monoprice.com. Good cables and super cheap. Even after you pay a couple bucks for shipping, still super cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBox View Post

Also my monitor will have freesync, I read that version 1.2a and after support freesync. So 1.2a will be enough? 1.3 version are for 4k 120hz which I won`t use for next 20 years...
smile.gif
Version isn't something that the cables affect, they only affect the maximum bandwidth. FreeSync will work over any DisplayPort cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenwing View Post

Version isn't something that the cables affect, they only affect the maximum bandwidth. FreeSync will work over any DisplayPort cable.
Are you sure? On wiki is written this:

"DisplayPort version 1.2a may optionally include VESA's Adaptive Sync.[16] AMD's FreeSync utilizes the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync feature for operation. FreeSync was first demonstrated at CES 2014 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop by making use of the Panel-Self-Refresh (PSR) feature from the Embedded DisplayPort standard,[17] and after a proposal from AMD, VESA later adapted the Panel-Self-Refresh feature for use in standalone displays and added it as an optional feature of the main DisplayPort standard under the name "Adaptive-Sync" in version 1.2a.[18] As it is an optional feature, support for Adaptive-Sync is not required for a display to be DisplayPort 1.2a-compliant."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
 

·
Meep
Joined
·
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBox View Post

Are you sure? On wiki is written this:

"DisplayPort version 1.2a may optionally include VESA's Adaptive Sync.[16] AMD's FreeSync utilizes the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync feature for operation. FreeSync was first demonstrated at CES 2014 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop by making use of the Panel-Self-Refresh (PSR) feature from the Embedded DisplayPort standard,[17] and after a proposal from AMD, VESA later adapted the Panel-Self-Refresh feature for use in standalone displays and added it as an optional feature of the main DisplayPort standard under the name "Adaptive-Sync" in version 1.2a.[18] As it is an optional feature, support for Adaptive-Sync is not required for a display to be DisplayPort 1.2a-compliant."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
Nothing that you quoted has anything to do with the DP cable or its connector tho?

The DP connector and port hasn't changed since the original 1.0. If both the sending and receiving device support a certain revision, 1.3 for example, the cable will put trough a DP 1.3 signal.

The alternate connectors/cables like DP-Mini and DP over USB-C max out at DP 1.2(a) tho.

Edit: DP over USB-C should technically support DP 1.3 too, and possibly even later revisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBox View Post

Are you sure? On wiki is written this:

"DisplayPort version 1.2a may optionally include VESA's Adaptive Sync.[16] AMD's FreeSync utilizes the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync feature for operation. FreeSync was first demonstrated at CES 2014 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop by making use of the Panel-Self-Refresh (PSR) feature from the Embedded DisplayPort standard,[17] and after a proposal from AMD, VESA later adapted the Panel-Self-Refresh feature for use in standalone displays and added it as an optional feature of the main DisplayPort standard under the name "Adaptive-Sync" in version 1.2a.[18] As it is an optional feature, support for Adaptive-Sync is not required for a display to be DisplayPort 1.2a-compliant."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
Yes, you need DisplayPort 1.2a. That does not mean you need a special kind of "1.2a" cable. DisplayPort cables are not where the "version" comes from, they all have the same design. The cable will not affect what features are available. The DisplayPort device needs to have knowledge of the new protocols introduced in DP 1.2a for it to understand those protocols, but they aren't sent in some special new transmission technique that requires cables to have a different design. They're sent just the same way all the rest of the data is sent, using the same cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,939 Posts
Any DP cable from monoprice will work.

The gauge of the wire might be replaced but the plugs & headers are the same (Molex has not updated there DP parts since 2005). There are some 1.3 DP cables floating around not sure if there is any difference between 1.2a to 1.3 cables(Gauge wise). 1.3 introduced HDR which does requires more bandwidth. I do have one DP 1.3 cable I have not gotten a chance to compare it to 1.2a cable.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top