Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed that I only had 2GB left on my SSD, but when I selected all the files in the drive and checked in properties, it showed only ~30GB in use. What?

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
It is your WinSxS folder. Google it if you want to learn more, but basically Windows stores important system files in here, as well as hard-links to other important system files that are stored outside of the WinSxS folder. Windows keeps a copy of every version of these files, so over time this folder can grow to massive proportions.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I had already turned off indexing, superfetch etc. when I installed windows. I did find that I had disk defrag running on a weekly basis but I highly doubt that having defrag on for 3 months would eat up all my writes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinky View Post

It is your WinSxS folder. Google it if you want to learn more, but basically Windows stores important system files in here, as well as hard-links to other important system files that are stored outside of the WinSxS folder. Windows keeps a copy of every version of these files, so over time this folder can grow to massive proportions.
I checked my WinSxS folder, only 10GB, with the rest of the OS taking up ~9GB which still doesn't answer why I am missing out on 20GB of storage on the drive.

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
What disk do you have? Something similar happened to me and a friend of mine. All of a sudden we only had a few gb left, even though we wasen't really using more than ~70-80 (120GB drives). Happened on three occasions with my Force 3. Went back to normal after a day or so. Could it be Sandforce-related?

·
Storage Nut
21,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattifnatten View Post

What disk do you have? Something similar happened to me and a friend of mine. All of a sudden we only had a few gb left, even though we wasen't really using more than ~70-80 (120GB drives). Happened on three occasions with my Force 3. Went back to normal after a day or so. Could it be Sandforce-related?
No, it is software related.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Use windirstat to see what is taking up the space?
http://windirstat.info/
Lol, ran it, and found that i have a 12GB hibernation file that doesn't show up in my C:\ Drive.

Edit: so after some Googling, it turns out that the 12GB is there because i have fast boot enabled on my Windows 8 installation. And with 16GB of RAM, it's taking up 12GB of space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts