Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at obtaining a cheap Nvidia card to use a dedicated Physx card. The issue is, it apparently only shows "distortion" all over the screen. Do you think this would still work strictly for Physx operations? It is still recognized in the operating system... Obviously its a risk getting it, but if anyone thinks it might be ok I might more inclined to just give it a try...

Help appreciated!

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
I dont think using a "broken" dedicated card for physx is a good idea. Unless you know what exactly is causing the distortion, you are taking a big risk.

The thing is the physx card being used isnt doing any video rendering, its "computing," doing the calculations for physics.

So in my opinion, it will work, but im not 100%

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6 View Post
The thing is the physx card being used isnt doing any video rendering, its "computing," doing the calculations for physics.

So in my opinion, it will work, but im not 100%
That is exactly what I was thinking. I mean I am not overly familiar with the inner-workings of a graphics card, but I am fairly certain the graphics processor is not directly in charge of actually displaying the images.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had once Broken my xfx 8800gt all white black lines on screen though i was not able to game on it i just plugged in as secondary to try as a dedicated card. And it was working well in Crysis though it was was my card. I don't know if your's is going to work

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fball922 View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking. I mean I am not overly familiar with the inner-workings of a graphics card, but I am fairly certain the graphics processor is not directly in charge of actually displaying the images.
I wouldnt be too sure on that....

Quote:
The processor is designed specifically to perform floating-point calculations, which are fundamental to 3D graphics rendering.
Taken from Wikipedia

When you say distortion, what are you referring to? Artifacts? Or distortion of entire images, video, etc

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the listing-----

"Unit is recognized in OS, but shown distortion all over the screen."

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
Rendering is "computing", just as much as PhysX is. It's all math.

If something is wrong with the actual GPU to the point where it's producing visible artifacts, it's quite likely to produce some massive errors (and problems) when calculating physics operations.

That said, if what's causing the video distortion is further down the line from any computational errors on the part of the GPU, it may work. I wouldn't bet on it though.

• Rep+
Reactions: youra6 and fball922

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
That said, if what's causing the video distortion is further down the line from any computational errors on the part of the GPU, it may work. I wouldn't bet on it though.
I guess this is more what I meant. I guess I will try to find out more about what is meant by "distortion"

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Rendering is "computing", just as much as PhysX is. It's all math.

If something is wrong with the actual GPU to the point where it's producing visible artifacts, it's quite likely to produce some massive errors (and problems) when calculating physics operations.

Quote:
PhysX will not render graphics, it a the step lower in the pipeline. The complex motion of objects, elementary particles, fluids etc is based on a complex set of variables like gravity, density, wind and so on; general relativity.
Yes you are correct, sorry if my use of terms was not correct. However this was what I meant. It is taken from here:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/physx-by-nvidia-review/2

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6 View Post
I say if its a cheap card worth risking for, Go for it! I'm really interested if it will work...

BTW im from Columbus, Ohio. GO BUCKS!
Go Bucks indeed! Almost done with finals week...

Anyway, I am waiting to hear back from someone else as well on another (known working) card. I will shoot the seller of the broken card an email and see what else I can find out about the distortion problems.

I will update this thread when I make a move on either card.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Protezione View Post
You can almost for sure bake the card and fix it, I've revived quite a few cards that way now, one is currently doing physx for me in my sig rig!
I have heard of baking, but can you give me the quick and dirty how-to? I can find details later if need be...

·
Registered
989 Posts
EDIT: just posted this as a guide in the graphics card section!

Yep.

Take apart the card, remove heatsink, all thermal paste (get that sucker CLEAN!)

Once down to the bare card, put on a cooking pan, on foil. and try to lift the card with 4 foil balls on the corners so its a bit off the sheet, GPU down!

Preheat oven to 385-400. I usually do 385 first and if it doesnt work, I will try 400. Make sure your ovens thermometer is accurate. Let it fully pre heat, set a timer for 10 mins, and bake your card for 10 mins.

Take card out of oven, and let it cool off for 15-30 mins. I try to let it sit as long as possible.

Reassemble card, be mindful to cover all spots necessary with thermal paste and thermal pads.

Install into computer

Profit!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet. Are those thermal pads on the RAM chips reusable?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I'd say if this was a friend you were buying from that you knew would take it back if you can't get it working, that'd be one thing. Buying a known broken card off the web ... unless it's like so cheap you wouldn't care if you dropped that amount of money out onto the street ... I probably wouldn't, myself.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
I'd say if this was a friend you were buying from that you knew would take it back if you can't get it working, that'd be one thing. Buying a known broken card off the web ... unless it's like so cheap you wouldn't care if you dropped that amount of money out onto the street ... I probably wouldn't, myself.
Well I would be upset dropping an amount of money on the street more than a dollar... But, this amount is reasonable to drop for a weekend project I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts