Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new motherboard into my laptop since my old one decided to die on me. After putting everything together and trying to power it on, I was upset to find that there was nothing displayed on the lcd screen. It did power on though. So, I took it apart to double check everything and put it together once again. Now, it starts up, but nothing displays on the screen. The caps lock light blinks constintly, and its shuts down after a few seconds of powering on. What is wrong? I need this laptop for school. Please help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,

The motherboard you replaced, is it the exact same one as the previous one or did you upgrade? You may need to check the connections again. I believe a CMOS reset may also be in order. Something to do with the display adapter??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response. Everything on the motherboards look the same. I am pretty sure they are the same. They both have a CN-0F3542 number on them. What other way can I be sure?

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Check the battery connections? My laptop was in a car accident, and it did the same kind of thing as yours until I noticed the battery was not in fully.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You need to make sure its the same revision.
Also, look in the manual to reset your cmos/bios. I suspect its just a setting for video. After you double check all your connections ofcourse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The connections are fine, but I will, once again open it up and check. What about the CPU. Theres a screw that you turn to have it locked, or unlocked. I want it unlocked correct?

·
Registered
421 Posts
It is very easy to overlook a small device in putting a laptop back together.
We just traded for a Dell Inspiron 2650 that had a problem. I completely disasembled this laptop and inspected all the sockets in the mobo for contact. Especially the adapter between the hard drive and the mobo. The video card in our laptop is a weird looking thing. About 1.5"x1.2" with a plug for a ribbon cable, a small cable and a plug that goes into a socket in the mobo. It was a little tricky to get all these things back to where they had to be or I had no video at all. After getting all these connections done properly, everything was working except the hard drive. I had to replace the hard drive cage, adapter, and the hard drive. I opted to upgrade to a larger drive and a faster rpm drive. Then added the max amount of memory the board would accept. Our little laptop is running super, even to the point that today I installed a Pioneer DVR DL Burner and it works super. I was told that this laptop was not designed to work with the burner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it working. Took the memory out, and tried with one, and it worked. Installed both and everything is working great. I basically just switched the memory around. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have an inspiron 1150 which does not have an svideo output. I know that the 1150 use the same motherboard that the 1100, which have svideo, so I wonder if it is possible to weld a svideo connector to the 1150 motherboard and use it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts