Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 options to go for. I can either get a Mitsubishi 73" HDTV DLP for $1700. or I can purchase a HD Projector, and Projector screen 10x10 for $2,000

Which is the better buy, and any suggestions?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok... which projector, and which screen?
How effective is light control in the room that you intend to use it in?
What color are your walls?
What are the dimensions of your room, and where do you intend to sit in relation to the screen?

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
This is for a home theater I assume? If you have full control over the ambient lighting, go for the projector, you will be amazed at the size. However, if you plan on using this during the day and you don't have full control over the lighting, I'd go with the DLP since projectors will look washed out when there is stray lighting

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
The problem with DLP is the size and bulb replacement. Bulbs can be extremely expensive and if they ever become impossible to find when you need one, your tv is now useless. I say go for the projector. It'd also be way easier to sell if you ever change/upgraded/moved, etc. A DLP is yours for life

·
Registered
64 Posts
Both the tv and the projector will require bulb replacements, and the price of replacement can vary greatly.

Either way... somethings to consider
a 73" screen is 64x36 = 2304 square inches
a 120 " screen is 105x59 =6195 square inches
the 120" screen is 2.7 times the size...

You also should be at least 12 feet away... from the pj.
Otherwise you'll get eyestrain.
Thx suggests 13.4 feet.

If you intend to sit closer than that, then I hope you are shopping for a Panasonic projector with a smooth screen filter, that minimizes the screen door effect.

I hope that if you room doesn't have good light control, and neutral if not dark walls, cieling, you are picking a high gain screen...

I have a PJ, its wonderful , but It's not as easy as just putting in the room and forgetting about it, b/c then it won't look as good as it should.

Now if you pick the tv, you won't have to worry as much about light control, you probably will be able to sit the right distance away, and you can use it with the lights on.

·
Banned
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is only for my small bedroom to play xbox games lol. Honestly my room is so small, and it'so only about 16'W 20'L

As for lighting, it's very low light. I will be only 5-6 feet away

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulawe View Post
This is only for my small bedroom to play xbox games lol. Honestly my room is so small, and it'so only about 16'W 20'L

As for lighting, it's very low light. I will be only 5-6 feet away
Go for the projector
Life sized games ftw!

·
Registered
64 Posts
16 x 20 is quite a large room.
Which projector are you considering and which screen?
120'" is just plain huge to be sitting 6 feet away, that's like sitting on the third row at the movie theater.

You'll be fine with the TV, but the pj can change in size, you can always get different screens, but some pjs aren't very good for gaming, the video processing doesn't work that well with video games. (LAG!!!)

·
Registered
266 Posts
My dedicated theater is 14x20 with a 126" screen. You can get away with the PJ and be extremely happy. Save yourself some coin and check out Focupix screens from www.htdepot.com. With todays PJs I would suggest a white screen as the blacks are pretty good. For PJ I would suggest Panny 4000U or Epson. I have a JVC PJ myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts