Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For example, do the rubbery "vibration compensators" or rubber screws supplied with Noctua and Nexus fans (and others) make a difference against traditional screws?

How about the anti-vibration pads supplied with coolers or integrated into fans versus allowing the fans to contact the heatsink?

Just wondering since when mounting the Thermalright TY-140s on my NH-C12P I tossed the anti-vibration pads that came with the heatsink and didn't notice a difference. I'm reasonably sure anti-vibration mounting would make a difference for hard drives but not so convinced about fans.

Maybe it also depends on orientation since my heatsink is mounted literally top-down (i.e. fan airflow is straight down) so gravity is having an effect in keeping the fan in place anyway.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Depends on the softness of the rubber they're made of and the quality/ speed/ bearing of the fans used.
A low-quality high-speed ball bearing fan will vibrate more than a high-quality fan.

From the looks of it, those anti-virbation strips used on the noctua seem to be pretty much the same like the ones I had on my TR archon. They're pretty useless. Especially with a decent fan like the TY-140.

It's usually fans mounted to the case / side panels that benefit the most from sound dampening since they make the case vibrate. Cutting out the grills also helps lowering the noise.

Bottom line: soft rubber helps the most on fans mounted to the case that vibrate due to the bad bearings (ball bearings aren't always better, IIRC ball bearings can actually be worse than sleeve bearings at low speeds) and orientation of the fans (some bearings don't do well horizontally, usually sleeve bearings) .

• Rep+
Reactions: friend'scatdied

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did use the Noctua rubber mounts for the TY-140 mounted to the case, so perhaps there would be a difference if I mounted it using screws since it's on a somewhat flimsy piece of plastic with some aluminum right up top.

I did have the suspicion that the strips heatsinks are supplied with are superfluous in most circumstances.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts