Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the GPU has its own ram and processor.

If I have a bunch of windows opened and my 8gb ram is being fully used, will this matte when a program/game is using the GPU for its own use?

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resendiz View Post

It looks like the GPU has its own ram and processor.

If I have a bunch of windows opened and my 8gb ram is being fully used, will this matte when a program/game is using the GPU for its own use?
What i can say is your system needs available RAM to function properly, looks like you'd want to add more RAM to your system. Not enough RAM can hinder the whole system performance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was just an example. I usually have 4gb free to use. Just trying to understand how gpus work.

If computer A has a 2.0ghz processor and Computer B has a 3.0 processor, and they both have the same GPU, will one outperform the other? Lets assume there is enough ram on both.

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
It depends on the software, some games are heavily dependent on the GPU, while others needs both CPU horsepower and GPU. Think about the GPU as a daughter card, the system may or may not need its full capabilities, that said, the GPU shares a part of the system memory if needed. Launch DXdiag in windows and in the display tab, you'll see the amount of shared memory.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
The GPU is a processor. It is a graphics processing unit. CPU stands for central processing unit. The GPU's job is to create all those pretty little images you see on your display, whether it's your desktop or a video game. The CPU's job is basically everything else, including processing the information provided to it from the GPU. The system's RAM and the video card's RAM are separate. The video card's RAM is the frame buffer which is completely separate from system RAM.

• Rep+
Reactions: mrawesome421

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resendiz View Post

that was just an example. I usually have 4gb free to use. Just trying to understand how gpus work.

If computer A has a 2.0ghz processor and Computer B has a 3.0 processor, and they both have the same GPU, will one outperform the other? Lets assume there is enough ram on both.
Let's assume they are the same chip and clocked differently. It isn't all about clock speed.

In some instances they will perform the same. If what you are doing relies mostly on the GPU, then the GPU will be the bottleneck. If what you are doing is based on the CPU then the higher clocked system will perform better.

There are a ton of differences between a CPU and a GPU. For example, GPUs are clusters of cores that have a controller, and multiple controllers for the entire chip. They are all streamed together. A modern CPU has only a few cores (typically between 2 and 6, however this number is changing). These cores do not require a multi-tiered controller to function.
CPUs take care of all the system and information processing that the computer requires to function. Anything graphic based is gone via GPU. If you don't have a dedicated GPU (graphics card) then you either have no video output or the CPU has an attached integrated GPU (iGPU). If you are using the iGPU, then some of you system RAM will be reserved specifically for the iGPU.

VRAM is not able to be used for the CPU. However, data that would be needed for the GPU and be cached on the system RAM for quicker access later.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
If you are asking about your laptop, if the gpu is intergrated then both the cpu and gpu will share the system ram,
Remember that you also have a paging file, this uses the hdd as a sort of slow ram and is technically unlimited

the cpu has its own built in memory in the form of cache, for fast access and is seperate from system ram

1 - 7 of 7 Posts