Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ugly Pole
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 16 days ago i had stable 3200 and after i came back from vacation it got bsod etc it is the same like earlier i am plaing whit it about 1 day and nothing i got 90 minutes stable prime95 after that 90 minutes i played titan quet IT ... went to bios played whit Memory from 800 to 1000 but was not stable and again setuped like i had that stable oc and now again bsod , screen went rubbish when watching crap ...

can any come whit an idea ?

read it slowly i don't have time to write good i can bsod any sec ...

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Basically, execute disable bit being ENABLED does make instant instability

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi View Post
Basically, execute disable bit being ENABLED does make instant instability
Anyone seconds that? I'm currently interested on the response to this, wasn't able to get a clear answer.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,979 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towik View Post
About 16 days ago i had stable 3200 and after i came back from vacation it got bsod etc it is the same like earlier i am plaing whit it about 1 day and nothing i got 90 minutes stable prime95 after that 90 minutes i played titan quet IT ... went to bios played whit Memory from 800 to 1000 but was not stable and again setuped like i had that stable oc and now again bsod , screen went rubbish when watching crap ...

can any come whit an idea ?

read it slowly i don't have time to write good i can bsod any sec ...
Execute Disable Bit has never hindered my overclock. I leave it on because I take full advantage of it.

But you said it's only 90 minutes stable in Prime95. But if you want to avoid problems due to instability, then it's imperative that you get the overclock stable enough to pass 12 hours of the Small FFTs test.

After that, tweak the memory until your system can pass approximately 5 passes in Memtest at the minimum; around 10 is preferred. 1 pass is when Memtest completes all 8 tests.

After that, make the overclock stable enough to pass around 30-50 runs of Linpack. For Linpack testing, just use LinX. It makes Linpack testing extremely easy. It has tooltips for everything, and it comes with a really good and short Read Me file. Be sure to use "All" available memory (you click on the "All" button).

After that, finish it off by making the overclock stable enough to pass roughly 6-12 hours of the Blend test, which is the default test selection when you open Prime95.

If the overclock can do all of this, then you should never run into problems related to instability ever again.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Execute Disable Bit has never hindered my overclock. I leave it on because I take full advantage of it.

But you said it's only 90 minutes stable in Prime95. But if you want to avoid problems due to instability, then it's imperative that you get the overclock stable enough to pass 12 hours of the Small FFTs test.

After that, tweak the memory until your system can pass approximately 5 passes in Memtest at the minimum; around 10 is preferred. 1 pass is when Memtest completes all 8 tests.

After that, make the overclock stable enough to pass around 30-50 runs of Linpack. For Linpack testing, just use LinX. It makes Linpack testing extremely easy. It has tooltips for everything, and it comes with a really good and short Read Me file. Be sure to use "All" available memory (you click on the "All" button).

After that, finish it off by making the overclock stable enough to pass roughly 6-12 hours of the Blend test, which is the default test selection when you open Prime95.

If the overclock can do all of this, then you should never run into problems related to instability ever again.
Excessive much no?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,979 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedvender View Post
Excessive much no?
No. I can explain why if you really want me to.

Edit: I guess not. So then were you trolling?

• Rep+
Reactions: Rick Arter

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
No. I can explain why if you really want me to.

Edit: I guess not. So then were you trolling?
Report me if you want but I believe that is excessive for stress testing, unless the user needs mission critical applications to run flawlessly on an overclocked system. He should be fine with a general, 10 hour run of Prime and a small FFT run if he feels so inclined.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I use IntelBurnTest v2...if it does 5 passes the system is stable in my experience. Very quick test and my puter is on 24/7 and does not ever crash....I do pretty intensive things as well such as multiple VMs and do a lot of 3d modeling. Some FEA sometimes too....not to mention gaming

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevymeister View Post
It stops some viruses from coding.
If only that made sense.

It stops certain types of overflow attacks by setting permissions on memory areas. A type of DEP, like nonexecutable stack.

Id say its pretty important, so keep it on if possible.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,979 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedvender View Post
Report me if you want but I believe that is excessive for stress testing, unless the user needs mission critical applications to run flawlessly on an overclocked system. He should be fine with a general, 10 hour run of Prime and a small FFT run if he feels so inclined.
In my own personal experience combined with what I have read here on Overclock.net, I have come to learn that this is not excessive.

There was a time when I had only tested my overclock to be "9 hours stable" with the Small FFTs test. I had also only done about 5 passes in Memtest as well as about 2 hours of the Blend test. I hadn't done any linpack testing at this point in time that I am referring to. Back then, it was fairly stable, but I was still frustrated by problems. But I thought that I needed to reformat.

But one day I suddenly got the desire to go further and make my overclock pass at least a 12-hour Small FFTs test at minimum, then up to about 10 passes in Memtest, and then at least 6 hours of the Blend test. After that, those problems were eliminated.

But ove time I learned that they weren't eliminated; they were just significantly reduced so much that they became much less frequent. A few weeks after that, I got the desire to try linpack testing. So, I got LinX and eventually got it to pass 37 runs using all available memory (it locked up during the 38th run, but this was after many attemps to get it to exceed around 10 runs. After I did this, those problems were truly eliminated. It has been at least 3 months, and I haven't had one single problem due to instability. Not one.

In addition to that, I see so many people saying things like, "but it's stable enough to pass 6 hours of the Small FFTs test, so why am I still seeing problems?" The solution to that problem is ALWAYS this "excessive" stress testing. Yes, always.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooping^fish View Post
If only that made sense.

It stops certain types of overflow attacks by setting permissions on memory areas. A type of DEP, like nonexecutable stack.

Data Execution Prevention, or "DEP" uses Excecute Disable Bit. If it's disabled, then DEP cannot function.

For more information on DEP, visit the following pages:

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooping^fish View Post
If only that made sense.

That's what I was told in simple terms. Meh. All I know is it is protection and does not hinder overclock. That was what OP was asking.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,979 Posts
Well again, and to isolate it so that it's actually seen:

Data Execution Prevention, or "DEP" uses Excecute Disable Bit. If it's disabled, then DEP cannot function.

For more information on DEP, visit the following pages:

• Rep+
Reactions: chevymeister

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
Did any of you guys realize that you've bumped a year old thread?

This thread was created in May of 2008. The OP has NEVER responded to this thread, so why are you guys still continuing it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts