Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea if a FCLGA1366 processor (such as a Xeon with 2xQPI links) will work in a standard X58 LGA1366 motherboard? If someone has any personal experience then that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
hmm ive seen chrisb17 with a 1366 motherboard, the asus 2 gene? or was that 3?

and hes got a Xeon with it and non ECC memory

ChrisB17

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post
hmm ive seen chrisb17 with a 1366 motherboard, the asus 2 gene? or was that 3?

and hes got a Xeon with it and non ECC memory

ChrisB17
Ah yes, the Xeon version of the i7 920. The problem is that it still only has 1 QPI link, so I still don't know if a processor with 2 QPI links will work in a single-socket motherboard (although I do now know that that Xeon is FCLGA1366, but single socket only).

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deeeebs View Post
Did you ever find an answer to this? I have an Intel E5540 that I picked up from a friend and I am soon to have a second one on hand..... What board did you decide to go with? I am not sure if I should build a dual proc machine or two single proc machines with them.
Any FCLGA1366 Xeon will work on any LGA1366 motherboard, even if it isn't supported, it will still run fine. Worse comes to worse the motherboard doesn't recognise it, but will still run fine. If you use both of them, then you'll be required to get a server motherboard anyway

·
Iconoclast
30,449 Posts
There are no non-FC LGA-1366 chips.

Every Intel CPU since Socket 370 has been a flip chip.

• Rep+
Reactions: MrAlex

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
There are no non-FC LGA-1366 chips.

Every Intel CPU since Socket 370 has been a flip chip.
Ooh cool. Thanks for that bit of info. I was looking on Intels website and on the server parts they were showing as socket FCLGA1366, but they weren't on the desktop parts.

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts