Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity... if any given program is left alone long enough, will it eventually unfreeze itself, or will it stay frozen and unresponsive until time ends?

I'm just curious. I was working on a photoshop file today and I forgot to save for a while when it froze. I left it alone for about half an hour in hopes that it would eventually unfreeze itself, which it did.

Will any program unfreeze eventually, if given enough time?

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
Some programs lock for good. I find that in 7, programs lock up completely way less frequently than in XP.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Depends, if the program can correct the freeze itself in minutes or in days

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,816 Posts
I've had my computer recover from a BSOD, which I thought was impossible. It BSODed, was late for school, and just went to school. Came home and it was back to the desktop. At first I thought it just restarted, but all my programs were open as well as a few unsaved/untitled Notepad documents.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
I've had my computer recover from a BSOD, which I thought was impossible. It BSODed, was late for school, and just went to school. Came home and it was back to the desktop. At first I thought it just restarted, but all my programs were open as well as a few unsaved/untitled Notepad documents.
Oh, wow.... I thought that was also impossible. That's insanely awesome

·
Banned
4,189 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SentryOptic
View Post

Oh, wow.... I thought that was also impossible. That's insanely awesome

control alt delete when it appears

press home key 3 times

and it works!!

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronman
View Post

Some programs lock for good. I find that in 7, programs lock up completely way less frequently than in XP.

I really don't think it's down to the OS...

while (1) {
doSomething();
}

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Nope.

Like Coma illustrated, a glitch in a program may well cause it to get stuck in an infinite loop. Among other possible reasons.

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I really don't think it's down to the OS...

while (1) {
doSomething();
}
It's not always the OS. But you can't deny that some programs tend to lock up more often in certain OSes.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Yeah, it's either internal program error, or program error caused by the external interface I.e the OS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts