Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 2 7900GTXs, however my device manager is only showing 1 7900GTX. So i cannot enable SLI. I want to see if my 2nd PCIe slot is dead, can I just remove the first card and try the 2nd slot right away? Or do I have to change a setting first.

·
Premium Member
25,203 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblivion77
View Post

I got 2 7900GTXs, however my device manager is only showing 1 7900GTX. So i cannot enable SLI. I want to see if my 2nd PCIe slot is dead, can I just remove the first card and try the 2nd slot right away? Or do I have to change a setting first.

You should be fine.
Did you also plug in the EZ plug for SLI?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flipping the chip ? Whats that? Yep i got the bridge. As for the EZ plug i can't use it because the it is placed right beside one of my PCIe slots and my 7900GTX is too big so it covers the EZ plug right up.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblivion77
View Post

Flipping the chip ? Whats that? Yep i got the bridge. As for the EZ plug i can't use it because the it is placed right beside one of my PCIe slots and my 7900GTX is too big so it covers the EZ plug right up.

The EZ plug provides extra power across the cards, without it your cards may not run stable.

Make sure that SLI is enabled in BIOS.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
You have an Asus P5N32-SLI, and the P5N-E uses an SLI-enabling mechanism that requires you to physically flip something on the motherboard.

I'm not sure if the P5N32 uses the same mechanism, but the P5N is a step down, so.. try googling it. (or checking your motherboard manual for the SLI section)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by antesignani
View Post

i had this same prob. i just switched my cards out and it turned out the one in question was dead as a door nail..nother 600 bucks down the crapper.

thats the easiest way to figure it out.

RMA?

-Sparda

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Coma: he does not own a P5N32-E SLI, but a P5N32-SLI deluxe, big difference.

Have you made sure to plug in the 4 pin molex connector that is between the PCI-E 16x slots? also check the bios and make sure both cards are hooked up the the power supply.

Don't forget to go into the Nivida control panel and enable SLI, or "multiple GPU" or something like that.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice help, but these are some problems i still run into. The 4 pin molex thing is the white 4 pin thing right? Also, I looked over my BIOS over and over and can't find anything about SLI.

I dont think i can plug in the 4 pin molex because when both my cards are in it is completly covered up.

·
Premium Member
25,203 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblivion77 View Post
Same thing just backwards, so, PCIE2->PCI->PCIE1. Ive tried both, doesnt make a difference. Should i try PEG on "faster"

Nah, Peg is some kinda auto OC mumbo jumbo.
So you have the latest Bios for your board, the most recent drivers and only one card shows in device manager?
Did you ever test each slot?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i got 0405 BIOS version, pretty sure thats the latest. Do i have to do anything to test the 2nd PCIe slot, like change a setting? Because if i just unplug the DVI cable from the first card and put it into the 2nd card i get no video.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.