Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got lazy and wanted to try out turboV EVO (asus's auto overclock tech) . It gave me a OC of 3.8 GHZ. I've been running prime (i forgot what i set it to for a few hours, and it is running [email protected] 1.240V?
(how can i upload a pic?)

EDIUT: i just realized LLC is off, adn when not in stress test, it runs @ 1.304V. Should i turn on LLC and dial it down to 1.245?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
It's very possible (attached pic of my CPUZ)

Also you attach pictures with the manage attachments part of the "go Advanced" mode

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy;12047195
It's very possible (attached pic of my CPUZ)

Also you attach pictures with the manage attachments part of the "go Advanced" mode
See, but i have a 1156 I7. Maybe my 1.35V ram is helping the IMC keep down low?
I restarted Prim. It's doing blend now.

My hyper 212 has a stock fan and a low CFM noctua attached, maybe i can get better temps with a gentletypoon
smile.gif

My imc is running @ 1.367 V. Is this too much?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I don't think that's a problem but I'm not an incredibly good overclocker, I'd wait for another opinion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the i7 860 before, and i was able to hit 3.8 with HT with 1.25 stable with 20pass IBT. I wouldn't say it is golden, but I thought my chip was pretty good, so yours is quite good too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
"Golden" maybe not. Good? Possibly. It really depends what your OC goal is and if you hit a voltage wall. For example, my i5 hits anything up to 3.7 at stock volts, 3.8 at just over 1.2, but it took me up to 1.3V to fully get it stable, before backing down and getting it stable at 1.275. If I go over 4.0 though, i hit a big wall were only 1.36 or so will let me get 4.2, which results in higher temps. If your happy with 3.8, then its a very good chip. If your aiming for 4.0, then try and find out what voltage is needed to get 4.0, that will give you an idea on how good your chip is.

I would reserve "golden" for any chip that can hit 4.2 or higher on less than 1.3V, but thats just me.

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
Is your chip prime95 stable? You need at least 8 hours of small ffts, the large, the another eight on blend to even consider your chip being stable, much less golden.

·
Banned
2,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poisoner
View Post

Is your chip prime95 stable? You need at least 8 hours of small ffts, the large, the another eight on blend to even consider your chip being stable, much less golden.

n key must be broken huh.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazing angel
View Post

I got lazy and wanted to try out turboV EVO (asus's auto overclock tech) . It gave me a OC of 3.8 GHZ. I've been running prime (i forgot what i set it to for a few hours, and it is running [email protected] 1.240V?
(how can i upload a pic?)

EDIUT: i just realized LLC is off, adn when not in stress test, it runs @ 1.304V. Should i turn on LLC and dial it down to 1.245?

average at best. i need 1.3 to keep my 860 going at 3.8ghz with ht on and llc off. to keep it going at 4ghz i need 1.3975 (ouch). i might be getting rid of this and the board to buy a 2500k and a gigabyte p67 board. i dont really make much use of hyperthreading these days.

edit: saw you were using auto oc. start dropping your voltages manually. who knows it might take alot less than you think. then atleast somebody would have a golden 1156 i7 cuz mine sure isnt =[

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
It's decent for a 1156 i7. I don't know about golden, but it's a lot better than some 8xx i7s i've seen

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think golden is the ability to hit very high clocks at reasonable voltages/temps. There is nothing special about being under 4.0 and having low voltage.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok know its not golden..but its my first overclock so i got bit "excited::

It's currently running prime @ 1.30V. Been going for about 8 hours straight on blend. I changed it to 158 Baseclock and 24X multiplier. What do you guys think i should but the IMC at? It's currently at 1.2825V

I bet i can reach 4ghz, its just im not sure of the imc...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts