Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

New to this board, so any advice on this would be appreciated.

I have the following setup:-

Zalman Z11 Plus case with with front 120mm fan, 2 x 120MM at the top, Corsair H40 cooler at the rear and 2 x 80MM in the side cases.
2 x 680 GTX 4GB in Sli
Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard with all the fans on and running.
Corsair H40 watercooler
32GB Vengeance RAM
Corsair 1050 HX PSU
i3770K clocked to 4.4GHz

Generally I am suffering higher temps on Sabertooth for the PCH and Sata sensors at idel and when I am playing games my PCIe-1 & 2 slots are getting very hot, i.e just under 60 degres. I am putting this down to my SLI 680GTx's. As they are Gainward Phantoms they occupy 3 slots and there is a small gap between them.

Question is how can I cool the graphics cards and lower parts of the board? Thee is an option to put a floor mounted fan, however my power supply doesnt allow it space wise.

Not sure if I need a new case for better airflow and more fan options? Would an upgraded H80i provide better in case cooling?

Apologies for my naievety as this computer was built for me and I am trying to learn more.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums! Don't forget to fill in your spec under the profile page!

That's an awful lot of hot hardware you have there so high temps can be expected without going under water.

Just under 60c for the graphics cards? That's absolutely fine! No need to worry about that just yet. Start considering alternative cooling when they're reaching the 90c mark.

A new case would help a little but it doesn't seem to be lacking fan placement options so it's not a must IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
until you upgrade your case, you may want to consider putting some fan filters on the 2 roof fans and turn them into intake instead of exhaust fans. this will provide more static pressure to help cool the 680's. remove the expansion slot cover just adjacent to the 680's to channel the pressure to allow air to flow out near the 680's

as you've already noticed, that case does not provide sufficient cooling for GPU especially SLi, so eventually you'll likely need to upgrade the case to something that provides better cooling for the GPU portion of the case.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I don'tkknow if you have room, but putting a fan on the hard drive cages blowing into the graphics cards can be very helpful. It helps create a push pull effect with the front intake fans and prevents air getting trapped in the drive cage. Also, it gives focused air right across the GPUs. If you have room, you can fit two to help cool the motherboard as well.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice all.

Just ordered a Coolermaster cosmos 2. A bit pricey but it will be worth it in the long run as it is some size and lots of options. I have invested a lot in quality components and I don't want to put that at risk with a unsuitable case. Learning everyday, I appreciate your help! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

pretty sure the cosmos2 is SIGNIFICANTLY larger then your Zalman Z11
biggrin.gif

the cosmos2 is a nice case, but it's also HUGE
biggrin.gif
Hi Psyclum

It is a monster, pretty sure I wont be needing a new one for awhile! I bought it for size to house SLI capability for multiple cards. Looking to replace the 680's with a couple of Titan's in the next couple of months and looking for a bigger motherboard also with more slots etc. Someone suggested ROG? Have you any suggestions? Love FPS games like BF3 and Crysis 3 but I prefer to buy more high end components with a mild overclock than out and out overclocking. One of my engineers suggested a ROG Maximus Extreme I think? Do you have a view as it might just be overkill..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
the ASUS RoG (republic of gamers) motherboards are pretty much the gold standard when it comes to overclocking. most serious OC'ers here on OCN use RoG boards. they are expensive, so you can save some $ if you don't want to REALLY push your machine. but if you want top of the line, RoG is it. as far as pushing your system... people here DO buy the best
smile.gif
then, they push it as far as they can get it stable, take a few screenshots as proof, then they back it down to more daily use friendly clock rates
biggrin.gif

as far as cases are concerned, i hope you realize there are better choices out there if you do not intend to get a custom loop for your system. the cosmos2 is good because it offers a great deal of options between air cooling and liquid cooling, but IMO the case is too big and maybe too noisy for its own good
biggrin.gif
I don't think you made the wrong choice, but you might be able to make a even better choice if you know exactly what you want
smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts