Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my computer is not working and im hoping a mobo swap will fix the problem.. but do i have to reinstall everything? i have the cd but none of my stuff is backed up

thanks

·
Storage Nut
21,146 Posts
Best to reinstall, but you don't need to, as long as you have a retail copy of the OS.

If Windows is OEM, then you need a new product key for the OS.

What to do:
  • Uninstall the graphics card drivers before (CCC)
  • Uninstall all the motherboard drivers you can as well.
  • You should make sure the UEFI in the new mother board is set up properly (SATA mode is the same as the old mobo. ex AHCI if old install was AHCI)
  • If you can not boot then pop in the windows installer disk (if you have to) and use start up repair and that should fix it.
I've done it a few times with Windows 7 and I never had an issue.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Best to reinstall, but you don't need to, as long as you have a retail copy of the OS.
If Windows is OEM, then you need a new product key for the OS.
What to do:
  • Uninstall the graphics card drivers before (CCC)
  • Uninstall all the motherboard drivers you can as well.
  • You should make sure the UEFI in the new mother board is set up properly (SATA mode is the same as the old mobo. ex AHCI if old install was AHCI)
  • If you can not boot then pop in the windows installer disk (if you have to) and use start up repair and that should fix it.
I've done it a few times with Windows 7 and I never had an issue.
my problem is i cant do any of this

for some reason nothing shows up on my monitor when i power my pc on.

this is for windows vista.. and i will be swapping for a different mobo, so is there anyway i dont have to reinstall windows

thanks

·
Storage Nut
21,146 Posts
When you get the new motherboard just plug in the drive, make sure the SATA mode is set right as the old mobo or else you get a BSOD and it should boot up fine. If not try safe mode and uninstall the old drivers. And try again. It should be able to boot fine.

·
Comic Book Enthusiast
3,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tired View Post

my problem is i cant do any of this
for some reason nothing shows up on my monitor when i power my pc on.
this is for windows vista.. and i will be swapping for a different mobo, so is there anyway i dont have to reinstall windows
thanks
Have you tried troubleshooting to make sure it's really the mb and not say, a bad stick of memory, or monitor?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

When you get the new motherboard just plug in the drive, make sure the SATA mode is set right as the old mobo or else you get a BSOD and it should boot up fine. If not try safe mode and uninstall the old drivers. And try again. It should be able to boot fine.
ok thank you, i will do this. Would you mind explaining what SATA mode is?

appreciate the help

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Have you tried troubleshooting to make sure it's really the mb and not say, a bad stick of memory, or monitor?
yea i did some what and gave up. I tried swaping monitors (which did nothing), but didnt swap ram

problems staarted happening after i realized my fan controller wasnt hooked up and my vid card over heating. Games would crash, then eventually nothing would show up on the screen. I swapped gpus to no avail, so im going to try the mobo now

·
Comic Book Enthusiast
3,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tired View Post

yea i did some what and gave up. I tried swaping monitors (which did nothing), but didnt swap ram
problems staarted happening after i realized my fan controller wasnt hooked up and my vid card over heating. Games would crash, then eventually nothing would show up on the screen. I swapped gpus to no avail, so im going to try the mobo now
I see, have you tried installing your gpu in a different slot?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.