Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about going over to Sprint from T-Mobile and getting an HTC EVO 4G. A lot of people have said wait for the EVO 3D, which I don't have the time to wait and I don't care about gay 3D. However, I could go to AT&T and get an Atrix which is a dual core Tegra phone, but I don't know if I need the power. All I do on the net is browse OCN and the only Youtube I watch is the dinosaur rap by the whitest kids you know. I must have an Android though, that is not debatable.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
It's not just a dual core CPU... you also get a better GPU as well.

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I do play some RoboDefense and Star trader RPG. But honestly, my MyTouch 3g was more than enough for me before I broke it. Thats why I question the need, since it had a 500 something mhz CPU and ran Android 2.2 just fine except for typing into text boxes on the internet.

For me, a computer needs to be bad ass. A phone, not so much.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poisoner
View Post

Okay, I do play some RoboDefense and Star trader RPG. But honestly, my MyTouch 3g was more than enough for me before I broke it. Thats why I question the need, since it had a 500 something mhz CPU and ran Android 2.2 just fine except for typing into text boxes on the internet.

For me, a computer needs to be bad ass. A phone, not so much.

You say that now... but in a year, you might the power.

If anything, get the Sprint Nexus S... it is a bit smaller but a better GPU.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I believe the LG G2X (dual core) is going to be released within the next week or so. There's also the HTC Pyramid/Sensation that should be released in a month or so.

If you really can't wait, I would personally go with the EVO 4G. The main reason is I can root the EVO and install Custom ROMs whereas the Atrix has a encrypted bootloader. I also have a preference of HTC over Motorola.

If you're not into rooting and all that jazz, then the Atrix would be "more powerful" but it's not going to make much of a difference if you're mainly going to be surfing the web and watching youtube videos.

·
Banned
3,105 Posts
This is a bit off topic but it's a good thing to keep in mind - dual core ARM chips consume less power than a single core chip. Split the workload and you don't need as much electricity to power the chip.

So, longer battery life!

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ipwnnubletz
View Post

This is a bit off topic but it's a good thing to keep in mind - dual core ARM chips consume less power than a single core chip. Split the workload and you don't need as much electricity to power the chip.

So, longer battery life!

That is a good point actually. You should get a cookie but rep will have to do.

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayzer
View Post

I believe the LG G2X (dual core) is going to be released within the next week or so. There's also the HTC Pyramid/Sensation that should be released in a month or so.

If you really can't wait, I would personally go with the EVO 4G. The main reason is I can root the EVO and install Custom ROMs whereas the Atrix has a encrypted bootloader. I also have a preference of HTC over Motorola.

If you're not into rooting and all that jazz, then the Atrix would be "more powerful" but it's not going to make much of a difference if you're mainly going to be surfing the web and watching youtube videos.

What advantages do I get from rooting the EVO?

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about the camera? Is the 5mp camera in the Atrix any worse than the 8mp in the EVO?

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisoner;13045508
What advantages do I get from rooting the EVO?
You can then run any app, flash any ROM, flash any boot animation, change operating systems (there are some nice Android 2.3 ROMs for the Evo out), anything. Android is like Linux, you can edit an-y-thing. But, only if you are rooted.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Evo specifically.

And dual core phones are like six core CPUs. It's all for show for another couple years.

Sent from my Evo 4G.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht;13047535
You can then run any app, flash any ROM, flash any boot animation, change operating systems (there are some nice Android 2.3 ROMs for the Evo out), anything. Android is like Linux, you can edit an-y-thing. But, only if you are rooted.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Evo specifically.

And dual core phones are like six core CPUs. It's all for show for another couple years.

Sent from my Evo 4G.
not exactly

the dual core ARM A9 cores
split the workload between each core
executing tasks with faster speed and efficiency leading to better battery life

which is why the Moto Atrix which has a 1800 or so amh battery can last significantly longer than the samsung captivate with a 1500mah battery even with a dual core and faster GPU

its also more smoother on dual core phones as you split everythign between the cores

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie;13047582
not exactly

the dual core ARM A9 cores
split the workload between each core
executing tasks with faster speed and efficiency leading to better battery life

which is why the Moto Atrix which has a 1800 or so amh battery can last significantly longer than the samsung captivate with a 1500mah battery even with a dual core and faster GPU

its also more smoother on dual core phones as you split everythign between the cores
Somehow I'm still doubting that there is any real speed difference in anything but 3D games and applications. And while there may be battery savings, I don't worry about that too much. The question is that whether he should go for the more expensive service with the dual core phone, or go with Sprint and have to settle with the Evo 4G. I just can't justify paying that much for the service for no real speed boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisoner;13045514
What about the camera? Is the 5mp camera in the Atrix any worse than the 8mp in the EVO?
The 8MP is a better resolution than 5MP. But the actual quality is debatable as MP aren't a measure of that.

In the end if I were you I'd base my decision on the service. Overall the Atrix is a nicer phone, but is it worth going with AT&T? Their service is far more costly. But as an AT&T customer for years and having Sprint for months, I will warn you... Sprints 3G network is slooooooooooooooow whereas AT&T's 3G network makes wifi a complete waste of time and internal hardware space. Sprint's 4G fixes this, but it is a battery eater and requires you to actually be inside an area with signal. In Tampa bay, Sprint is epic, for example. But anywhere else, I obsessively connect to wifi networks.

Edit : One last note. Sense (HTC interface) is the greatest UI for Android to have ever existed. Worlds beyond Motoblur, Cyanogen, AOSP, etc.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht;13047934
Somehow I'm still doubting that there is any real speed difference in anything but 3D games and applications. And while there may be battery savings, I don't worry about that too much. The question is that whether he should go for the more expensive service with the dual core phone, or go with Sprint and have to settle with the Evo 4G. I just can't justify paying that much for the service for no real speed boost.
I would think there is a difference in normal usage as well. Thread scheduling is made MUCH easier with two cores. If a thread is being process but a user GUI thread comes along, there is a much better probability the manager will be able to prioritize and process the real-time GUI thread.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo;13048000
I would think there is a difference in normal usage as well. Thread scheduling is made MUCH easier with two cores. If a thread is being process but a user GUI thread comes along, there is a much better probability the manager will be able to prioritize and process the real-time GUI thread.
All of this is under the hood and not the bottom line. In reality, the animations of the OS are already a bottleneck. The apps don't load the CPU whatsoever. The only thing you get an actual user experience gain is in 3D rendering. Everything else is bottle necked somewhere other than the hardware. Even 2D videos don't stress 1GHZ CPUs. Give it 2-3 years and yes, the 1GHZ CPU will start to show age. But at that point, you have your upgrade credit. Time to get a new phone anyways. So in the end, it might not be worth coughing up a ton of extra cash for AT&T.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I second the notion of purchasing the tmo g2x. Also Evo isn't the only phone that's nice in sprint, if you can wait till the summer there is the EVO 3D and if you can't there's the Samsung epic. Same power sgx540 found on the Nexus S. Now with keyboard. I say stick with sprint.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Go to Future Shop/Best Buy and try the phones out for yourself. You may or may not like Motoblur which would make the decision easy.

Compare the two experiences (Browser speed, UI, "power") and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo;13045458
You say that now... but in a year, you might the power.

If anything, get the Sprint Nexus S... it is a bit smaller but a better GPU.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ral;13045464
You don't need Duel Core just yet.
Would be nice for future proofing..
v1ral
Why would you want fighting cores?
tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licht;13047535
Completely disagree. Even web browsing speed is held back by modern phone processors.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts