Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I'm upgrading my laptop to an HP Omen (I'm receiving the 256GB SSD variant), I wanted to store my music and games on an external hard drive. I don't plan on buying an external hard drive because I question their reliability. I would like for anyone with any experience on hard drives (in this case, 2.5" form factor) to help me determine if I need a new hard drive. I can always take the one out of this laptop and use it since it's 640GB, but I had a file become corrupt about a week ago and I'm worried if it's just becoming too old to be of use for me. I also have a 250GB hard drive that's about as old as this laptop (three years), but I never used it.

My question is, should I buy a brand-new hard drive, or are the 250GB and 640GB hard drives good enough to be used? My only concern is I don't want to lose any data due to the hard drives being unreliable because of their age.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Any drive is unreliable in my opinion, regardless of age. I've had a drive fail in less than a month on me, I've also got a drive still in one of my towers that is 13 years old at least.

If I were you I would keep the drives you have and use them for your main storage, and then get another drive to use as a backup.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Files can become corrupt for several reasons, so it's hard to tell. If you are curious about the current health of your drive you could run the manufacture's diagnostic, or you can use a program like HD Tune to check the smart values of the drive. The smart values shouldn't be taken as gospel, but the reallocated sector count in particular is something you want to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIZ View Post

Files can become corrupt for several reasons, so it's hard to tell. If you are curious about the current health of your drive you could run the manufacture's diagnostic, or you can use a program like HD Tune to check the smart values of the drive. The smart values shouldn't be taken as gospel, but the reallocated sector count in particular is something you want to keep an eye on.
I downloaded that and CrystalDiskInfo and they both reported 257 for the reallocated sector count, but both said my drive was fine. idk if that's high or not for a 640GB drive but it is three years old. So it looks like, as far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with it. Just normal wear & tear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts