Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hope someone here can help becasue i have had no luck with google what so ever.

I was wondering if i needed a new power supply to run my system?
its a 500w colorsit and has 1 12v rail and the max is 29a

Will it run it?
Many Thanks to those who help
Matty Smith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
29A on the 12v is plenty. As long as that PSU is stable (keeps voltage within a few milliVolts of specific rail (IE 12v = 11.8-12.1)) then it should be fine. No need to upgrade.

EDIT: To find if the rails are stable use a monitoring program like SpeedFan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Progenicus

29A on the 12v is plenty. As long as that PSU is stable (keeps voltage within a few milliVolts of specific rail (IE 12v = 11.8-12.1)) then it should be fine. No need to upgrade.

EDIT: To find if the rails are stable use a monitoring program like SpeedFan

11.8 - 12.1v huh? Mine dips down to 11.45v under full load, idles never above 11.95v. Think i may have issues?

Also, software isn't the best for monitoring voltage, if you want to make sure its accurate use a voltmeter. I did, because software told me the 12v dipped to 11.04v, the voltmeters lowest measure was 11.45v though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mastacator

11.8 - 12.1v huh? Mine dips down to 11.45v under full load, idles never above 11.95v. Think i may have issues?

Also, software isn't the best for monitoring voltage, if you want to make sure its accurate use a voltmeter. I did, because software told me the 12v dipped to 11.04v, the voltmeters lowest measure was 11.45v though.

True, a voltmeter is the best option. But for those without one, software monitoring shouldn't be TOO far off. As for your PSU, I'd be more worried about getting more than 12v than less. 11.45v is getting there, if you get concerned about it you could disconnect something, maybe a case fan or some lights if you have them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Progenicus

.....if you get concerned about it you could disconnect something, maybe a case fan or some lights if you have them.

Yeah, i just wish it was more stable under load. Thinking about a new PSU really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Thanks! I haven't looked real close at it yet, but, I'm thinking of one with adjustable rails, or some kind of compensation to the rail when it starts being heavily taxed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
Your rails are never supposed to fluctuate more then 5%, if they do you have big problems. A bad PSU can blow your whole system. To anyone of you looking into a new PSU get the Sunbeam NUUO 550. It stays within 1-2% of its voltages most of the time and is only 80$ USD. Its by far the best bang for the buck out right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by zerohour

Your rails are never supposed to fluctuate more then 5%, if they do you have big problems. A bad PSU can blow your whole system. To anyone of you looking into a new PSU get the Sunbeam NUUO 550. It stays within 1-2% of its voltages most of the time and is only 80$ USD. Its by far the best bang for the buck out right now.

yeah, i thought they shouldnt fluctuate more that 4-5%. mine doesn't even hit 12v! always under. I am running SLI 6600GT's overclocked and vCores bumped too. Its a 600w with 35A, just not stable on the 12v.

Sunbeam NUUO 550, huh? I will check it out, Thanks!

Do you know by chance if that model has the "flex" cable system? You know, only plug in as many cables as you need?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mastacator

Do you know by chance if that model has the "flex" cable system? You know, only plug in as many cables as you need?

Oh it does, i just found it on Newegg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
OCZ Powerstreams are pretty good. A stable PSU might even help your overclocking, and improve system stability. Not to mention an unstable PSU can ruin your components. It's up to you, but I would go for a new PSU. You should also try to get a PSU that is SLI-certified since you have SLI cards. Not necessary but it is a good precaution to take.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,655 Posts
The OCZ powerstream is a good psu. but get the 520w version... there have been problems with the 600w version.

other very good psu's are
Seasonic S12-600 and the S12-500, S12-600 has topped most recent psu reviews
FSP epsilon series
Sunbeam nuuo
Enermax Liberity series
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok i got the voltages for my powersupply they are:

+3.3v = 3.28
+5v = 4.38
+12v = 11.86
-12v = -9.15
-5v = -3.55
standby = 4.27

They good or bad thats with no load?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MattySmith

Hi hope someone here can help becasue i have had no luck with google what so ever.

I was wondering if i needed a new power supply to run my system?
its a 500w colorsit and has 1 12v rail and the max is 29a

Will it run it?
Many Thanks to those who help
Matty Smith

1 vidcard
Recommended 12+v rail is 24a
2 cards...
Recommended 12+v rail is 34a and get an SLI certed PS!!!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top