Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

On sunday I am building my new rig, I am using all new parts apart from my current hard drive because it has all my games, folders, documents and such. If I were just go to device manager and uninstall all the drivers, then put the old HDD into my new rig and install the new drivers will this work?
Also would all my steam stuff work?

Sect

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Steam has an option to back up your games (updates, included) so you won't have to redownload everything.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
It depends on how different your other components are. If the mobo is a msi then it will be easier than if it was a totally different manufacturer. The more different it is the hard xp will balk. Try it and see.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
duped

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskina
View Post

Steam has an option to back up your games (updates, included) so you won't have to re-download everything.

Yes and it's called copy-paste.
You never have to reinstall Steam since Steam works even if you haven't reinstalled it...
I haven't reinstalled it since the last OS I had and it works like it should.
The only time you have to reinstall stuff from the last OS is when it's not starting...

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Edit:Are you running Raid with them 2 x 320 Harddrives ?

I have used this method a few times.

"Before you make the hardware swap you're going to want to change the IDE drive controller's driver. Go to your device manager, right click on the My Computer icon and go to properties. From there click the Hardware tab then click on the Device Manager button, that will open up a new window. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section, right click on the your main IDE drive controller and select Update Driver. Once the Hardware Update Wizard opens, select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), then select the "Don't search. I will choose the right driver to install." radio box and click next. From there select Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller and click next.

Once that's done, WindowsXP will be configured to use the default IDE controller driver so that you can swap out your motherboard without having the scarry blue inaccessible boot device screen show. Of course, once you're finished swapping out parts simply install the latest drivers for the new motherboard and you should be set."

taken from PCSTATS a few years ago.

It not the best way of doing things for sure, but i have used it mainly to install OS on laptops with out a DVD rom.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Steam does have a backup function. I would use that before just copy and pasting. Many programs don't work like that, though I guess since ecchi did it it does work.

Also, even if windows does boot with your new configuration, it will not likely be very stable. Whenever making major hardware upgrades (like new motherboards and processors) it is a good idea to reinstall Windows.

Side note: For some reason I had a hard time referring to you as ecchi. I guess it is because I am more used to referring to it as an artistic group rather than a person.

·
15,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bruestle2
View Post

Steam does have a backup function. I would use that before just copy and pasting. Many programs don't work like that, though I guess since ecchi did it it does work.

Also, even if windows does boot with your new configuration, it will not likely be very stable. Whenever making major hardware upgrades (like new motherboards and processors) it is a good idea to reinstall Windows.

Side note: For some reason I had a hard time referring to you as ecchi. I guess it is because I am more used to referring to it as an artistic group rather than a person.

the bold text is so true
I have experienced that on the last OS, that was first used on my P6N Platinum then the ASUS formula I had, then a zoltec 939 then this 750i and is now new installed since a week ago.

Lol at the artistic group thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts