Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to reseal the IHS after delidding a CPU and using liquid metal?

Hi, I would like to know if it safe to not reseal an IHS after applying liquid metal on a i5-4690k while still intending on using the IHS with the CPU and cooler with the motherboard is in a vertical position?

Will the CPU socket clamp prevent liquid metal from leaking out on to the motherboard in event of it dripping under the IHS?

I would also like to know if Arctic MX-2 thermal paste would work as well as Arctic Silver Ceramique paste as an insulator to protect the surface mounted components next to the CPU die or should I use something else all together?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,875 Posts
If you want to reseal, you can. I used a drop of super glue on each corner of the IHS to hold it in place or you can just let the retention arm hold it in place.

If you want to protect the SMDs, not sure why you'd use thermal paste. Just use clear nail polish.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is not necessary to reseal the IHS. The socket clamp will hold it in place, even if you hang a Noctua NH-D15 from it sideways. The board will flex (depending on how cheap it is) before that clamp will allow the IHS to move.

Liquid metal is kind of hard to move on its own (i.e. dripping), it likes to stick and has more viscosity than you think. The surface tension, when it's properly applied, makes it want to stay right where it is. But there's a risk, sure, especially if you put on too much.

Anything "normal" you use to reseal the CPU IHS will raise the IHS slightly, moving it further from the die and making heat transfer less effective. Also, I wouldn't use superglue in case you have to crack the CPU open and reapply the liquid metal. You could damage the CPU, if you really want to reseal it I would use a toothpick-smear of RTV silicone on the corners, just enough that it will stick, not enough to coat the corner of the IHS (thin enough that you should still see through the RTV in spots).

That said, you want to use a non-conductive nail polish to protect the CPU from liquid metal. Gamers Nexus did a YouTube video about "what we've learned from delidding," I'm too lazy to find it but he explains a lot, especially what yo look for in a nail polish for this application.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts