Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retro Computer Expert
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been looking for a long long time for a solution to my problem. I just don't know how to build any modern computers without them running either too hot or too noisy. So I think it's time to ask for help.

To tell you the truth, my PC is not a gaming PC, and I have no interest in making it into one. I just want it to be cooled properly without sounding like a jet.

How hard is it to cool an 85W Socket g34 Opteron CPU? I do want to be able to later upgrade my Opteron to a 99W or maybe 115W model without fear of overheating.

I've always thought "more CFM the merrier" but I really have no idea how much CFM I really need. I also have no plans to ever overclock my system.

Do I really need a large case with 200mm or 230mm case fans for my particular system? I read these larger fans lack static pressure, if that really means anything when using them as case fans.

I see some 120mm case fans can pull close to 70CFM... but again I don't know how much I need.

Also, my graphics card pulls only 18W. It's a passive cooled Nvidia NVS 300. I only stick to cards that consume low, low power.

Also I forgot to mention, my Thermaltake CPU cooler has a 70mm fan on it. It's the kind of cooler with the fan facing with the air blowing down onto the motherboard.

So what do you think guys? Please help me find an appropriate case cooling solution. I'm all lost... LOL.

Would a simple 120mm in the back of the tower case with a 120mm in the front of it be enough for me, even with a 115W CPU?

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The problem is your CPU cooler .its too small. For total 100w power , any mesh case with one 120mm fan would be enough. I strongly recommend you to buy a decent cooler .

·
Premium Member
27,814 Posts
Good answers. I'll add a link to basics of how airflow works and how to optimize it. It explains the basics. If you aren't sure of something just ask.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
How hard is it to cool an 85W Socket g34 Opteron CPU? I do want to be able to later upgrade my Opteron to a 99W or maybe 115W model without fear of overheating.
I use my system for 80% productivity and for 20% gaming.
CPU cooler it is No1 source of Noise.
The oversized and high quality CPU cooler of my choice, it did save me.
Such choice of cooler were originally recommended for extreme overclock and gaming.

Getting an oversized (heavy) ATX tower this is the second step for success.
Such a ATX PC case for small SERVER this cost two times more than Gaming Chinese Case , but you will keep it for a life time, and it is worth getting one.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Bigger fans generally are quieter at similar air flow.

·
Premium Member
27,814 Posts
So far in computer industry 120mm and 140mm fans move way more air at far lower noise levels than180-220mm fans.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
For socket G34, you may want to see if you can locate some of the G34 Noctua coolers. I was using the U9DO-A3 and U12DO-A3 on quad socket G34 boards and very pleased with their performance for years. The U12 is better than the U9, but only by a bit. For a 85w Opteron, you can likely get away with using one of the low noise adaptors on the U12 with a 120mm fan. You can also use two fans, one on each side of the heatsink tower but the improvement in performance is not so great.

Otherwise, a case designed for silence is probably the best bet. Something like a Fractal Design R5 or R7, paired with some balanced fans. You don't mention the form factor of the board you are using for that Opteron, which will influence what cases you should look at. If it's ATX, you'll be good to go with any case that is half sensible.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,165 Posts
What temps are you currently getting?

I'm not familiar with that socket but my Noctua NH D15 cools my 5950X nicely. The D15S is also very good.
I've found 2x180mm Silverstone AP180's (on low ~ 600rpm) cool quite well but as others have said it's probably the CPU cooler -- 70mm is quite a small fan size.

·
Retro Computer Expert
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
First off, thanks for the friendly support! :)

My actual CPU cooler's model number is Thermaltake CLS0017. Here is a review on it:

I bought it new, old stock.

In the meanwhile I'm stuck with my crummy current case. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but I have to have my fans on max & noisy. I'm not playing any games or playing HD video so I won't stress my system too much. I have not modded the case with a dremel, but I managed to squeeze with cable ties - a 140mm on the top for intake for the CPU and an 80mm exhaust. Here's my current case:

As you can see from the pics of the HEC case, my 140mm case fan gets much of it's ventilation cut off. My other case fan, (80mm) is high static pressure, but it has to exhaust out poorly ventilated metal to exit out the slit on the front case plastic bezel. I know, I desperately need a new case...

So I just got a good deal on a Cooler Master Elite 330! I didn't want a big case. Earlier I asked my local PC tech and he says I need at least a single rear 90mm fan to cool my PC with it's current CPU. This new case can take both front and back 120mm fans and it's stylish. Can't wait to see it up close once it arrives. Here's what it looks like:

As for temps, I'll post them soon. Idle temps are probably what's needed.

Thanks again guys!

·
Retro Computer Expert
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bad news. My idle CPU temps just sitting at the Windows desktop are 50C. I hope my computer isn't going to break.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Don't think you'll be able to find any of the noctua ones for that mount anymore but dynatron has some. That thermaltake cooler is complete trash, I got one when that platform came out and it was horrible.

80mm A14 | Dynatron
92mm T757 | Dynatron

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
What temps are you currently getting?

I'm not familiar with that socket but my Noctua NH D15 cools my 5950X nicely. The D15S is also very good.
I've found 2x180mm Silverstone AP180's (on low ~ 600rpm) cool quite well but as others have said it's probably the CPU cooler -- 70mm is quite a small fan size.
Socket G34 is a bit like socket TR4 and LGA3647 in that it needs a cooler mount which is incompatible with everything else. No normal cooler will fit. :(
Bad news. My idle CPU temps just sitting at the Windows desktop are 50C. I hope my computer isn't going to break.
It's not going to break. If it was idling at 70+ I'd be more worried. The temp you need to worry about depends on the generation of Opteron, though; G34 covers three generations of Opteron CPUs (6100, 6200 and 6300 series). Even so, the Opteon chips are pretty resilient.
Don't think you'll be able to find any of the noctua ones for that mount anymore but dynatron has some. That thermaltake cooler is complete trash, I got one when that platform came out and it was horrible.

80mm A14 | Dynatron
92mm T757 | Dynatron
I'd contact Noctua directly, also float around the usual suspects for buying kit. You might get lucky on eBay, I guess. I'd offer to send the OP one of my G34 heatsinks (U12DO-A3) as I have a dead board still put together, but I'm the wrong side of the world and walking a non-techie through removing a server heatsink over the telephone scares me slightly.

Sadly, though, you might well be out of luck. :(

·
Retro Computer Expert
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Quote from Paradigm Shifter: "I'd offer to send the OP one of my G34 heatsinks (U12DO-A3) as I have a dead board still put together, but I'm the wrong side of the world and walking a non-techie through removing a server heatsink over the telephone scares me slightly."

I'm not a non techie. I've been working on building computers for 10 years. The only problem is, my focus was on very old ones - so I'm simply, over the hill. I built the Opteron PC I'm using now. I know how to install all kinds of air coolers, modern and old.

I would gladly wish to buy your U12DO-A3. I accept all responsibility for my actions. Please let me purchase it from you.

I'm from Alaska btw.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I really recommend contacting Noctua, as the system is in storage in Europe, and I'm in the Far East. The only person who has access to it is not someone I trust (as much as I love them) to successfully open up a system which was a complete nightmare to build.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
As you can see from the pics of the HEC case ......
My case this is also Compucase HEC Taiwan , but much wider and taller, along with removable for cleaning (front) dust filter.
The design of your case this cannot help your goal.

Product Font Material property Publication Technology

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Engineering Wood Gas

·
Retro Computer Expert
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is not my case. Mine is also an HEC, but it is black and is horizontal shaped. Model is HEC 7106BB.

·
Premium Member
27,814 Posts
That is not my case. Mine is also an HEC, but it is black and is horizontal shaped. Model is HEC 7106BB.
Your case has extremely poor case airflow design. There is not even a PSU intake vent, very small vent over CPU area of motherboard, PCIe back slot covers are solid, and only 2 small (80-90mm fan) vents in back. Where on our big blue marble are you located? Maybe a member who lives in your part of world could help you find a better case. If you were in UK I could give you a much better case for cost of shipping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts