Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Since I dont use my waterblock anymore I thinking about removing one radiator because its mounted on the outside and kinda gets in the way. I have one 240mm radiator, 80mm thick alphacool monsta, and another one 45mm thick also from alphacool. This I mounted when I got my waterblock.

Currently I have the components in my sign, but basicly I got my i5 3570k running at 4.8ghz stable with 1.4vcore. The temps are around 35C in idle. I ran this same setup with only the monsta radiator back in the days before I got my waterblock but I cant remember what temp I use to have.

But I would think the watercooling components I have would be more than good with only one 240mm, 80mm thick radiator.

Well, share your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
what components are being cooled?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am cooling only the cpu. Former I cooled the cpu + gpu and hence two radiators.

·

13,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachAz View Post

I am cooling only the cpu. Former I cooled the cpu + gpu and hence two radiators.
Thick 240, even a thin 240mm will cool that cpu no problem.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks. Then I will put away my other rad, such a shame its a really good one. But I dont like having a extra radiator outside the case, not worth it only cooling the cpu.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
1 Monsta 240 should be sufficient for a CPU only.

If you're going to be putting it into storage be sure to completely drain the radiator of all fluids. Stagnant liquids ionize more quickly, ionized fluids increase it's electrical conductivity, and the solder in your radiator is tin based. Tin in directly electrical contact with copper, and both in direct contact with an electrically conductive liquid is a recipe for a destroyed radiator. See martins results for such @ his website.

Just a fair warning/heads up.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will drain the radiator of all fluids. When I store it, should I plug the holes?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I'd let it dry completely first. And plugging the holes is no needed but it wouldn't hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts