Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I'd wait.

Votes: 4 66.7%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's the deal. I've been getting the upgrade itches badly, lately.
Back when I put this rig together, I was halfway through my last year of Uni, so naturally I was on a rather tight budget, and I picked the parts for this system based purely on bang-for-buck.
Now, about a year later, I've finished uni and I've found a rather nice and decent-paying job in IT. I've got a nice bit of money in the bank, and I've been itching to get myself something nice for a while.
The thing is, since this is a fairly recent system, and it was built based on bang-for-buck, I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out upgrades that would give me a performance increase nice enough to be worth the money.

The first thing that came to mind is my Asrock Extreme 4, I've been generally unimpressed, bordering on unhappy with it ever since I got it.
Another thing is/was my cpu, mainly because it was a bad little overheating clocker before I took a razor to it and delidded it. Part of that might be the motherboard, of course, but despite the delidding, I'd only call my chip 'average-ish' now. It's not great, but it'll do.

Now, if Haswell wasn't waiting right around the corner, I'd shell out for a top-end motherboard and maybe even a new chip right now, no questions asked, but considering the socket-change that it brings along, I'm left wondering if that would be a good move, hence why I'm calling out to the forums for advice.

If I'd go through with it, I'd most likely go with the Asus Maximus V Extreme / Formula, and likely a new 3770k a bit further down the line, probably skipping Haswell.
If I wouldn't, I'd get a 4770k and top-end board come Haswell release day, likely getting some performance-increase but missing out on the performance boost of a delidded chip.

As you can see, I'm at a bit of an impasse here, so I'm eagerly taking the forum's suggestions.
Any other worthwile upgrades you might come up with would be more than welcome as well, I'm itching to burn this money quite badly
wink.gif

One last thing, about what I use my PC for:

- Gaming, used to be pretty much the only thing I did, but that's certainly gone down a bit lately.
- Overclocking and benching. Back when I built this rig, I wasn't planning on doing much of either, but things change and here we are
smile.gif

- I'll probably start folding sooner rather than later as well, I've given it a go once or twice, but nothing really serious so far.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Personally I'd wait for haswell at least. As you say you've got a pretty decent system at the minute and it's not like you're in desperate need of an upgrade right now.

·
Registered
595 Posts
In my opinion, you should wait, 4.7ghz is not at all going to slow you down for anything right now. I don't think getting a new mobo will help your i5 clock any better,

·
Not New to Overclock.net
9,207 Posts
if you are in deep need for those two particular upgrades. HUNT THEM on offers. and sell yours then the guilt wont be so bad.
You can get 3779K at MC for 229 and you can sell yours for around 180 or more being delidded.
The Early gen of haswell wont be a HUGE improvement. may be just 10-15% more performance and that's it.

If you have the core of the rig. just sell yours. get yourself two new toys. you will end up paying like 200$ for a sweet upgrade. and listen to me on this one. Never Waste a minute you could spend having fun
wink.gif

Cheers

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, you guys have a point, I guess it'd be kinda silly to spend big now, when there'll be higher-end stuff and lower prices on current-gen stuff in a few months' time.
That doesn't mean the upgrade itches have calmed down just yet, though... What are your thoughts on the GPU? It's a reference EVGA 670 that I fitted with an aftermarket cooler down the line. 1250 isn't bad, but it's the absolute max it'll do in a stable fashion.
Another thing I've always been kinda curious about it watercooling, do you guys figure it'd be worth it? I'm particularly considering it since haswell's around the corner, and if we can't delid the haswell chips, I certainly won't be able to do on air what I'm doing now...

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyaena View Post

Hmm, you guys have a point, I guess it'd be kinda silly to spend big now, when there'll be higher-end stuff and lower prices on current-gen stuff in a few months' time.
That doesn't mean the upgrade itches have calmed down just yet, though... What are your thoughts on the GPU? It's a reference EVGA 670 that I fitted with an aftermarket cooler down the line. 1250 isn't bad, but it's the absolute max it'll do in a stable fashion.
Another thing I've always been kinda curious about it watercooling, do you guys figure it'd be worth it? I'm particularly considering it since haswell's around the corner, and if we can't delid the haswell chips, I certainly won't be able to do on air what I'm doing now...
You won't need to delid Haswell chips, they will use solder unlike Ivy Bridge. Rumour is they are the best overclocking chips Intel has ever made but we'll wait and see. I'd either buy another 670 or wait until Haswell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The way I see it you got a few options.

1. See a good shrink for the OCD (you know ya got it
smile.gif
) He put you on meds to kill that itch you got till haswell is out. Then stop the meds and buy the haswell.

2. If you not married got job and love tinkering with PCs like some people like golf, skiing etc. Then just do it.

I did not see what cpu you have now. You have a great video card. I'd doubt you really NEED a 3770k but we all know you want one.

You say you want to fold, well get new computer and do the folding on the old one. Also if you do 3dsmax set up render farm with old parts. I have like 6 PCs, I upgrade then just add another to the network for some use. Or can always ebay old one.

I've got a OC 920 at 3.4 and a 3770k. Sure the K is nice but other than rendering 3dsmax a bit faster and win in benchmarks its not really a mind blowing upgrade from a 920.

Liquid cooling, I like it for noise reduction and ease of installing. Those huge heatsinks are a pain, take up so much room in the case. I'm not into getting the highest overclock so I don't go crazy on watercooling, you can spend little or a ton of money on water. There comes a point of diminishing returns. The corsair Hydro series are not too costly and easy to install.
You would have to shop around for the best bang for the buck in terms of which allows best overclock. But yea I'd go water for the noise reduction and ease of installation.

But like another guy said for pure gaming, you probably would be better off just doing sli with a 670 as that would beat a 3770k with a single 670.

You need a backup computer anyway, if you have a buddy come over its sort of no fun to watch someone play. Guest have to have their own rig.

Just do it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts