Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 955 with my set up 26c idle and 45c load at stock clocks.

I want to know if adding a 240mm fan will help at all in cooling down the cpu? does it translate to any actual decrease in temps for the cpu opposed to just keeping the case cool?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,995 Posts
Side fans (and all fans, really) depend on the airflow and turbulence inside the case. In some cases, side fans help while in other, the diruption they cause has negative effects. the only way to know for sure is to try it. One way to see if the airflow in your case is sufficient is to remove the side panel and watch temps. If they go down, you know you are not allowing enough air to move through the case.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
They do for my video cards. I have a HAF 932 and with the side panel on with 4x 120mm fans it drops my temps a good chunk for cards, CPU not to much

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marma Duke View Post
Temps are already good, seems unnecessary.
its on stock clocks though, i want to oc to 3.8 and possibly 4.0 if i could, i know for sure temps will rise plenty.

so ill try blowing a fan into the case see if temps change =D then if it does a side panel should help then right?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Side fans are good at lowering temps for passively cooled motherboard components like mosfets and the southbridge along with video cards.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Probably by a few degrees, but it will mostly help overall case temperatures (and everything that comes with that like video card and chipset). In the end, it really depends on the location of your case (is the side of the case free of obstruction?), and the basic flow of air on the inside. Generally it does help, more than front intake fans, so it wouldn't hurt to add one.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by u238 View Post
Side fans are good at lowering temps for passively cooled motherboard components like mosfets and the southbridge along with video cards.
so blowing a fan to the v8 heatsink wont help much?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so I took off my side panel blew a fan into the computer and heatsink, so weird apparently my temps were cooler with the case on... does that mean adding a side fan will make it worse?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prideless
View Post

OK so I took off my side panel blew a fan into the computer and heatsink, so weird apparently my temps were cooler with the case on... does that mean adding a side fan will make it worse?

This is often the case. The enclosed space can direct the airflow over components. But no, you should still see a benefit from adding side fans, but most likely not for your processor.

·
15,777 Posts
One things for sure, if the case have a side fan whole it will make more noise...
If there's a fan there, it's even worse.
worth the few turbulence degrees? NO!

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prideless View Post
its on stock clocks though, i want to oc to 3.8 and possibly 4.0 if i could, i know for sure temps will rise plenty.

so ill try blowing a fan into the case see if temps change =D then if it does a side panel should help then right?
3.8 GHz is a wall on air.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by firestormcomputers View Post
3.8 GHz is a wall on air.
yes i heard the wall was 3.8 but on the net i seen others hit over 3.8 on air?

3.8 is the wall on air with volts and multiplier right? heard if you mess with the bus and northbridge u can get higher?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prideless
View Post

yes i heard the wall was 3.8 but on the net i seen others hit over 3.8 on air?

3.8 is the wall on air with volts and multiplier right? heard if you mess with the bus and northbridge u can get higher?

I must have jumped the wall becuse my Phenom II 940 has hit 4.0 Ghz on air, using just a TT Big Typhoon VX.

·
PC Evangelist
46,973 Posts
Well my GPUs are about 5C cooler with side fan.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
They only have a truly big effect when you have multiple graphics cards (see 3x8800 Ultra's), and you NEED the extra exhaust power.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts