Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have been playing my z-5300's at a moderate level, about 3 on the remote, and I have noticed like a burning smell coming from my sub or is it like the smell of the glue they use or something? Does it need to like "burn in" or something and is this natural. Or is there something wrong?

- Atomic

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
well many people say u should "break in the voice coils" on subs for atleast 24hrs before really pushing them, i dont think u should be smelling any kind of burning stuff coming from the sub, but it may just be glue or paint type stuff burning off the amp or sub... i would pay close attension and if your sub starts distorting or the burning smell gets worse or persists for a long time maybe RMA it...

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually now that I think about it my home theater system did the same thing with that sub and the smell went away after like a week of use.
Oh well Ill use em' till I break em'.
I don't really think it helps that the first thing I played on them was about and hour of bass testing song and audio testing songs, so I could see the sound quality of them.
For $130 bucks they are damn good. IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ya, but if ever u get bigger subs or high quality subs/speakers... it is always good to break them in by running them at low volumes when u use them for about 2-3 day before really pushing them to see what they can do, i know its hard to not crank em' when u first get them, but its better for the life and quality of the speakers...

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea thats true, but my temptations over take my logic usually, and I wind up with things full blast less then an hour after I get them.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ya i know how u feel with that... with lower end to average quality stuff its no biggy, just when u get high end stuff...

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh pbasil, if you are thinking about getting a big typhoon I am selling mine with a silverstone fm121 fan ( 114 CFM). Just thought I would let you know. Pm me if you are interested.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sort of like your not supposed to do over say 40 in a new car for the first 300 miles or so, something like that. Keeping the volume down, until everything gets settled in.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
The smell is usually the voice coils warming up for the first time or the kapton former the coil is wrapped around warming up, but if you have the volume to loud the VC will burn and will create a nauseous smell

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, I do believe there is a "break" in period for subs. I have always treated them that way. Low volume for a few hours, then moderate volume for a while then when they are broken in you can usually crank them, depending on how much power you have. The material itself needs to flex a bit before it can reproduce all the subtle frequencies. It's like exercising when you are not warmed up or stiff, more chance of injury. Take it easy on the volume for a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts