Overclock.net banner

Do they still manufacture tape decks and cassette tapes?

2774 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  JustinThyme
I don't know anyone anymore who has a tape deck, but I've come across ads selling new blank cassette tapes.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
20,502 Posts
LOL 8051. You are in a roll.

In Ethiopia Duty Free shop, they still sell Betamax tapes and player. They do not even dust them off anymore.

· Not a linux lobbyist
2,938 Posts
I like Bing better. First result was Amazons best seller list. Turns out you can buy a bag of assorted square drive belts for cheap. They wouldn't fix how cassettes get all tight though, or their low sound quality.

· Crayon Evangelist
8,031 Posts
They wouldn't fix cassettes low sound quality.
(Purposeful misquote)
Hey now! That is the media of my childhood. What you are calling low sounds quality is patina.

· Long Time Lurker
1,038 Posts
or their low sound quality.
This isn't exactly true. Tapes can sound damn near just as good as CDs assuming your equipment and tape quality is high.

· Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,861 Posts
I still have an old portable one. Emerson or Koss or something like that lol. Think I still have an old Eminem Cassette in there. Those things went through AA batteries fast.

· Registered
125 Posts
Ah the old days!
I was buying Maxell and TDK cassettes by the box of tens! Normal, Chrome and Metal where the three tiers. I was going for Chrome or even Metal sometimes. Best clearest and loud recording.
Then, I started to use VHS 4 head HIFI to record music from CDs from friends and rentals from the library, its was better tape quality and better heads on the VHS recorder than regular cassettes.

Metal was the shytz!

XLIIs were Chrome (CrO2)

• Rep+
Reactions: 8051 and oobymach

· Premium Member
20,953 Posts
Tape decks and cassettes are two different things.

(shows how old I am). Tape decks refer to 8 track decks. Cassette players are typically referred to as cassette decks.

· Registered
5,422 Posts
I don't know anyone anymore who has a tape deck, but I've come across ads selling new blank cassette tapes.
I still have whole bunch of My First Sony stuff from the 80's etc including cassette tapes. In fact, still have most of my toys from the 80's including box full of sanrio stuff. Most of the stuff still works including the Electric Pencil Shapener.

· Registered
125 Posts

Its out there, but its very niche, so pricey...sunrise records sells music cassettes still

· Registered
600 Posts
TEAC still makes them, however, the technology peaked sometime in the 80's. While there is a case to be made for vinyl on a good analog system, cassette's are a pretty terrible medium, and your run of the mill mp3 will sound superior in many cases. For the snobs, I enjoy my audio in DSD and hires flac's, a good and balanced system will recreate the sound of gods :giggle:

· Registered
600 Posts
Vinyl is pretty terrible too, at least compared to modern digital formats or reel to reel. People like vinyl because it's a big spinny thing that they can hold and look at.
That's entirely subjective, on high end turntable's with good cartridges you can definitely achieve great playback. In essence it's all the same do, it depends on the recording, I have heard recordings of the same piece that wowed me, and others that made me want to puke. There are many bad(badly mastered) digital recordings as well.

· Registered
884 Posts
That's entirely subjective, on high end turntable's with good cartridges you can definitely achieve great playback. In essence it's all the same do, it depends on the recording, I have heard recordings of the same piece that wowed me, and others that made me want to puke. There are many bad(badly mastered) digital recordings as well.
I'm talking about the medium, not comparing one system or master to another. Even the best turntable money can buy will be easily outdone by a modern $100 DAC in terms of SNR / dynamic range / distortion. Not to mention the rice krispies.

EDIT: $100 DAC is generous. A $10 apple USB headphone dongle will blow away any high end turntable. Not to say a turntable can't sound great, I have a vinyl collection too.

· Registered
600 Posts
I'm talking about the medium, not comparing one system or master to another. Even the best turntable money can buy will be easily outdone by a modern $100 DAC in terms of SNR / dynamic range / distortion. Not to mention the rice krispies.

EDIT: $100 DAC is generous. A $10 apple USB headphone dongle will blow away any high end turntable. Not to say a turntable can't sound great, I have a vinyl collection too.
Mhh, that's just not correct. I'm not trying to argue that digital resolution is worse, because it isn't, in most instances, it is superior. There are however analog systems that can produce just as good results, granted they will cost 100-1000x times what the digital system with decent AKM or ESS chips cost. The pops and cracks are not there on truly high-end systems, I've done blind tests with other audio enthusiasts, where vinyl won. Basically 3 sources playing back the same content, through the same amplifier, one very high end turntable, one high end dac with DSD recording, and one reel-to-reel all playing back the same content. Reel-to-reel was at a disadvantage, and it was a tossup between digital and analog. Now if we are talking about performance per dollar, just go with digital :D

· Premium Member
3,805 Posts
I did find two cassette decks for sale at B&H. It looks like dolby NR isn't a thing anymore though.
I figured DAT would live on over analog cassette tapes.
DAT suffered from long seek time compared to CD, also multiple seeks or skipping tracks caused the spools to become uneven and you had loosen them up again. Sequential tape isn't good for anything except backups.

· Premium Member
1,665 Posts
i traded a laundry basket full of cassettes for a car once years ago,,disks were just coming out then...he was happy with the tunes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.