Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years now I've had what most people say is a noisy computer.

I've pretty accustomed to the noise it makes and I've found myself uncomfortable when it's too silent.

I guess I just like the humming noise and it's a reminder that my computer is churning away. :)

How do you guys view this?

Do you have to have a dead-silent computer?

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I prefer near-silent, or just loud enough to know it's on.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I run 8 fans on my radiator alone and they aren't very quiet (Yate loons at 1400rpm). It's noticeable when theres no other sounds in the room, but as soon as I turn on some music (which is the first thing that I do when I turn on my computer) or start playing a game then I don't notice the noise at all.

·
Jack-of-all-trades
1,754 Posts
i do mind the noise. i used to run 8 fans at full speed and it was ok at first but after a while i find it annoying even when gaming or playing music (i dont use headsets). i want to hear the clear, crisp sound of the game without additional sound tracks coming from my pc. so now i cut the number of fans to bare minimum.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I dont mind when fans are loud when gaming because i have my headphone so that solve the issues but woth a fans controler i lower the speed of fans when.i dont.need.tons of cooling

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9100M avec Tapatalk

·
PC Evangelist
47,378 Posts
The more i have build custom PCs the quieter i wanted to have it. Right now i run my Case fans @ 5v or 7v and 6 x AP-15s @ 5v or 7v. Compare to my PC 2 years ago this is very silent. Cant run fans over 1000 RPM now.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-jose View Post

i want it to sound like i have a lawnmower on my desk!!!
devil.gif
I used to have a ThermalRight SK6 "back in the days", with an insane Delta 60MM fan that ran at 8000 RPM... That comes pretty close to a lawnmower
smile.gif

This is what it looked like, but the Fan was about 1.5 times as high.
Thermalright_SK6+ventilo.jpg

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I run a GTX 470, Raven RV02, and my heatsink fan is usually turned up pretty high less than two feet from my head. Get's pretty loud, like hear in another room loud, but I don't mind. When I'm on my computer I will ALWAYS have music on, have game sound, or a stream in the background so I never even hear the fans anyway. Performance>aesthetics/noise to me so meh.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I prefer silence
wind or turbulent noise I can tolerate
mechanical or rattling noise I cannot

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Penguin View Post

For years now I've had what most people say is a noisy computer.
I've pretty accustomed to the noise it makes and I've found myself uncomfortable when it's too silent.
I guess I just like the humming noise and it's a reminder that my computer is churning away.
smile.gif

How do you guys view this?
Do you have to have a dead-silent computer?
i got 8 120mm fans @660 rpm.. hate everything over 900^^
when i had my gpu watercooled it was very nice.. but the phantom performs well with a custom fanprofile via afterburner..

what is your setting?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run the Corsair H80 with the stock corsair fans. I came to terms that a little bit of sound when needed during gaming is well worth a little bit of noise from the fans. Personally to me its all about the most amount of performance for just enough of dBA i can handle before it becomes annoying but one thing to note, the loud noise is only during times of extreme cooling when needed. Other than that its decently quiet.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
I don't really mind on my sig rig, as long as it is not louder than the music/games i play. With ambient temps over 30c, going fanless or with low speed fans with the hardware i have has little effect
tongue.gif

My HTPC is another matter, i've made that thing to be almost inaudible, but it doesn't have nearly as much power as my sig rig.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I used to not mind it at all, I slept with my PC on. Now if I sleep with it on I wake up like every hour lol. My rig is pretty quiet other than a 200mm NZXT fan.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
i can deal with the 1150rpm gentle typhoons but that's about it, as it stands now i always have to have them on as background noise otherwise all i hear is a high pitched wine from my tinnitus.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't mind at all. I'm used to all kinds of noise since I live in an apartment so I hear everything outside (ppl yelling, cars honking, parties)

My room always has music playing, gaming sounds. I actually don't like silence, lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts