Overclock.net banner

Do you buy CPUs at launch or wait for better steppings?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've never made the decision to, I don't think I would if waiting for a release.

·
Registered
127 Posts
for me its not strictly based on stepping or overclocks... i like to give it a little time to work all those nasty kinks out...

example my friends all ran out and bought sandy bridge...all of them had problems with the cougar point recall or whatever

Also around the same time frame my boss decided we needed some new workstations and wanted to do sandy bridge for that aswell...now those workstations have crap motherboards when waiting a little longer wouldve given us the z68 chipset

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
i'm kind of neither never buy things on launch, and i don't exactly wait for stepping. I just wait until i can afford to buy it, play with it, sell it and repeat! lol

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Typically, on launch. It just so happens that my every-day rig tends to get slow to the point of needing something substantially better, whenever something substantially better actually comes on the market. (or perhaps i should say it coincides with a time when something big hits the market... i don't upgrade to EVERY new thing). Its all rather convenient really and gives me a LOT of time before my stuff gets truly outdated.

For instance, got Pentium 4, skip Pentium D. Core 2 duo, skipped quad. Got i7 920, skipped revisions and SB. Will likely skip the next few rehashes of the core i7 line and get the next big architectural change... Maybe throw the best lga1366 cpu i can find in this rig a year from now when its dirt cheap to hold me off until something big... this platform is far too strong to justify a new build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts