Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
usually u can get upto 50,000 hours of operation as MTBF (mean time between failures) with mid level custom parts..for high end it can be as high as 100,000hrs...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Most part have mtbf number that is listed in hrs and that is mean time before failure. Most pumps will be around 50,000 hrs.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
ditto on the 50k hours which is around 5.7 years if you leave it on 24/7. That's for pumps though, radiators don't "wear out" cuz it's not a high pressure system like in a car. Everything else should last for a really long time assuming you take care of it.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beserkjay
Same question as topic. How long to most custom jobs last without having to replace parts?
Well, Its not JUST about how long the pump will last, The real factor is a leak.

My system, I rarely leave it on all night, Its due to the fact that I don't completely trust the water. The problem I see with that is, If/when there is a leak, The water won't just stop coming out after a certain amount of time. It will just keep leaking and leaking until theres not enough water in the system to push out anymore. Usually that will lead to more then just a completely fried computer, Possibly a fire, Or if your bed is close to your computer, Maybe even shocking you.

Just saying this, Because there is NO WAY, Contrarey to popular belief, To have a completely leak-proof system.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i left mine on all the time, of course as shawn said no wau to guarentee no leaks but it shouldnt be too difficult to make it VERY unlikely.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Yeah, Wrap plastic bags around EVERY component that has water flowing through it, Around all of the tubing, Then make sure all the bags are big enough to contain all the water in the system (especially if its a low-point) then wrap all the bags again for a little more assurance, But before all that hassle, Water-proof spray-paint over EVERY electronic component in the case.

Of course, If you REALLY don't want a leak, You COULD follow my advice, But that would be basically idiotic, I just feel like typing tonight I guess...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
Yeah, Wrap plastic bags around EVERY component that has water flowing through it, Around all of the tubing, Then make sure all the bags are big enough to contain all the water in the system (especially if its a low-point) then wrap all the bags again for a little more assurance, But before all that hassle, Water-proof spray-paint over EVERY electronic component in the case.

Of course, If you REALLY don't want a leak, You COULD follow my advice, But that would be basically idiotic, I just feel like typing tonight I guess...

lol. that was one extreme i was thinking of. or you could just use solid parts, good tubing and zip tie it real well and check it every couple of days for small leaks. you just dont hear about ALL the water leaking out, destroying the computer and burning out the pump very often.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Okay, Well hears a little fact...

Zip-ties, Thats just asking for trouble! Thats like (excuss me if I'm going over the top, If so, I'll just edit) using a paper-bag instead of a Condem...

Worm-drives clamps are where its at! They physically tighten the tubing to the barbs, giving it ALOT better seal.

Where-as with Zip-ties, There only job is to hold the tubing in place, Not to tighten the tubing to the barbs, So unless the tubing has a snug fit to the barb already, I would recommend moving to worm-drive clamps.

UNLESS, Your using REALLY thin-walled tubing, Since the worm-drive clamps are all metal, They somewhat dig in, Not deep enough to cause any damage with good tubing like Tygon or clearflex, but if you using the thin Home-Hardware/Depot tubing that is basically a very long ballon with two holes in it (LOL) stick with Zip-ties.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
...or you can get non-conductive fluid.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
I left mine on when I went home for xmas for a month and a half. It was fine. I've set my BIOS shutdown at 60C so that if something fails it will just shutdown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts