Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Antec 900W, gold rated.
It's served me very well. I've had it since around 2012, so it's not quite 4 years old yet.

I'm putting together a new build (going with a Full Tower this time and likely an EATX mobo).
I haven't run the numbers yet, but I'd be surprised if the new build exceeds the PSU's abilities.

Still, the PSU is getting on in years I guess and I wonder if I should preemptively replace it, just wait until it dies a terrible death, or wait until my next build in 3-4 years to consider this again (assuming it doesn't die before then).

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Replace it before it dies. You can get good PSUs for $100 on sale pretty frequently. It's not worth waiting on it to go out and possibly take some of your system with it.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
No need to replace it. My PSU is almost 4 years old.
Only need to replace if the PSU is crap.

Your PSU is Bronze not Gold.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
If it's old one and cheap? Yes.

If it's Seasonic parts and old? No.

In your case? Yes.

Antec-HCG sucks a lot, atleast the 620W one I had for like a month did before returning it... 12V line was 11.2V under load...
But it did power my 2500K + 2x HD7950
biggrin.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
40,421 Posts
A 900 watt gold rated Antec PSU does not exist.
You either got the wattage or brand wrong.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stige View Post

If it's old one and cheap? Yes.

If it's Seasonic parts and old? No.

In your case? Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

A 900 watt gold rated Antec PSU does not exist.
You either got the wattage or brand wrong.
You contain so much PSU knowledge... How do you keep up?

Also, according to your sig Sebiale, a good 450W unit will do just fine. Or a 550W unit, they get priced very closely sometimes or the 450W model of the same unit might be out of stock making a 550W the only option. In case you are worried, no there is no issue nor is there a downside to using a 550W over the 450W model.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My corsair VX550W is 7 years old now. How much is too old
biggrin.gif
?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetyhunter View Post

biggrin.gif
?
7 years is about what i would consinder max.
Unless its a Delta unit in that case its 10 years.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetyhunter View Post

biggrin.gif
?
That is old and not very good. That one I would replace.

OP has the Antec-HCG 900w Bronze. It is not bad nor good. Stable ripples and regulations.
See no need to replace.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I do - but normally not before the warranty period is over. And my current PSU still has a fair bit of years left (AX series from Corsair has 7 years of warranty). I did replace a TX-750 about a year after its warranty period ended as I was getting some kind of bizarre voltage readings from the motherboard sensors, however, even after the upgrade I was getting the same kind of readings so it was probably a motherboard sensors issue.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebiale View Post

I have an Antec 900W, gold rated.
It's served me very well. I've had it since around 2012, so it's not quite 4 years old yet.

I'm putting together a new build (going with a Full Tower this time and likely an EATX mobo).
I haven't run the numbers yet, but I'd be surprised if the new build exceeds the PSU's abilities.

Still, the PSU is getting on in years I guess and I wonder if I should preemptively replace it, just wait until it dies a terrible death, or wait until my next build in 3-4 years to consider this again (assuming it doesn't die before then).
You have no need to replace this PSU. Not only have you been very very very easy on it, but it's a solid-quality PSU. It won't die a terrible death or anything.

What will your new build consist of?

·
Registered
826 Posts
If it's an HCG-900, that thing was made by Delta and stuffed full of quality lytic jap caps, meaning it may last a decade or more.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,421 Posts
Yes Delta units are way overbuilt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

You have no need to replace this PSU. Not only have you been very very very easy on it, but it's a solid-quality PSU. It won't die a terrible death or anything.

What will your new build consist of?
The ultimate goal is to get a build that will play pretty much any modern game at high or ultra settings, and that will last for at least another 3-4 years. Mainly building a new one because I'm starting to feel a bit constrained by the current 8GB and video card. I've also had one case fan bearing fail entirely, plus it sounds like the GPU fan is having some bearing issues--start up Witcher 1 and I'll hear it grinding against something in there, other games don't seem to suffer from this. Could be nothing major, but I figure I might as well replace it anyways.

Currently planning for:
  • Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (Not quite as impressive as the 5930K, but cheaper.)
  • Not sure what I want for the CPU cooler yet.
  • Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (Not sure about the brand, though it's almost certainly going to be a GTX970. It's a minor downgrade from the 980 but, again, cheaper.)
  • Not sure on the memory yet. I know I want DDR4-2133 or higher, but there's so many options and so few variables it's hard to narrow them down. Probably getting 16GB, just because I can't imagine what I would do with 32GB.
  • The storage will remain the same as current: a 1.5 TB (Windows) and a 2TB HDD (Linux).
  • Optical Drive and Power Supply I'll probably scavenge from the current build.
  • I currently run 2 monitors, but I'm considering adding a third, though it would mean reorganizing the room to get the space for one. That may not happen.
  • Peripherals: Backlit mechanical keyboard and a Razor Naga; Speakers for music, headphones with mic when I want to talk to people.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

The ultimate goal is to get a build that will play pretty much any modern game at high or ultra settings, and that will last for at least another 3-4 years. Mainly building a new one because I'm starting to feel a bit constrained by the current 8GB and video card. I've also had one case fan bearing fail entirely, plus it sounds like the GPU fan is having some bearing issues--start up Witcher 1 and I'll hear it grinding against something in there, other games don't seem to suffer from this. Could be nothing major, but I figure I might as well replace it anyways.

Currently planning for:
  • Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (Not quite as impressive as the 5930K, but cheaper.)
  • Not sure what I want for the CPU cooler yet.
  • Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (Not sure about the brand, though it's almost certainly going to be a GTX970. It's a minor downgrade from the 980 but, again, cheaper.)
  • Not sure on the memory yet. I know I want DDR4-2133 or higher, but there's so many options and so few variables it's hard to narrow them down. Probably getting 16GB, just because I can't imagine what I would do with 32GB.
  • The storage will remain the same as current: a 1.5 TB (Windows) and a 2TB HDD (Linux).
  • Optical Drive and Power Supply I'll probably scavenge from the current build.
  • I currently run 2 monitors, but I'm considering adding a third, though it would mean reorganizing the room to get the space for one. That may not happen.
  • Peripherals: Backlit mechanical keyboard and a Razor Naga; Speakers for music, headphones with mic when I want to talk to people.
Oh, then you will definitely be able to use the HCG-900!

·
User
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stige View Post

Just found this, slightly related
tongue.gif
2x HD7950 + 2500K at 5GHz
And you were feeding that with a 620W unit? No wonder +12V was wonky.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Quote:

I wouldnt replace it but I would consider having more than one PSU. Heres why:

Take what just happened to me last week. Total system failure. Had no idea what the problem could be. I probably drove @CrazyElf to the edge of insanity. But it was very possible that the PSU couldve been the culprit. Well, I had to either 1) order a PSU tester and wait for it to arrive or 2) order a new PSU. If I was better prepared I wouldve had a back up PSU that couldve been swapped in just to try it out while the PSU tester was en-route.

Another reason for proactively having a second PSU is to test things outside of your system. You can easily test a motherboard (or many other things) without needing to break down your system.

While @shilka and @TwoCables are totally correct about the quality build of that PSU and its capabilities, Im of the opinion that a backup component can never hurt. Especially something that is so crucial to the operational stability of the system. For what youre building/upgrading too it looks like youll be fine for power requirement. It looks like youre not even close to the limit of that psu.

Now, if I could just find out how to accurately calculate my real power needs I'll be in better shape
biggrin.gif
I have a G2 1000w running two 290x Lightnings and my 5930k. I really dont think I can run a third one without getting a new PSU

Im not sure how shilka and TwoCables feels about PSU testers but they have helped me recently. So you can always get one of those and periodically test your PSU as it gets older. I bought two recently; I bought a cheap one and then I also got the Thermaltake DR Power II - [insert sarcasm] you know its good because it has "Doctor" right in the name. Actually, @shilka what do you think about these psu testers? If youve addressed that already somewhere else just tell me to go fly a kite

·
Senior OCN Member
40,421 Posts
I dont know anything about any of the PSU testers so i cant tell you something i dont know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts