Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you always run your D5 at max speed?
Is that pump noisy at max speed, can you hear it?

It 500l/h enough for a dual rad CPU+GPU loop?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
No I personally don't run mine at full speed but I have the luxury of an Aquaero and USB pumps so I have the pumps set to run at very low speed when just on the desktop and when gaming it jumps up to about 80%.

I use low speed fans so the pump is always audible but its a very low, steady 'white' sort of noise so you really have to be paying attention to it.

If the pump is mounted well then full speed should not be 'noisy', just a faint hum or something like that. A pump that is badly mounted, like straight to the rear wall of the PC case for instance will transmit vibration that makes more noise than the pump itself. A pump that changes speed, ramping up and down a lot is also much more obtrusive than a steady noise.

D5 pumps all have the same characteristic where certain speeds are noticeably louder than others so picking a nice smooth rpm that still gives you enough flow is a good way to limit noise. Full speed should be one of those quieter speeds. For instance one of my pumps is louder at 65% than at 100%

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,721 Posts
Do you always run your D5 at max speed?
Is that pump noisy at max speed, can you hear it?

It 500l/h enough for a dual rad CPU+GPU loop?
The only time my D5 sees full speed is when I set it there to clear out any bubbles that may have accumulated in the loop. Otherwise....it sits at 1850 rpm when liquid temps are below 32C, and bumps up to 3000 rpm when liquid temps get over that.

And....I can absolutely hear my D5 (and every D5 I have come into contact with) at any speed over ~2500 rpm as they emit a very high frequency whine. That said, I also know a lot of people who legitimately can't hear that whine due to the frequency of it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just finished my first water cool system yesterday, my D5 pump is inaudible until around 40%, after which you can make out a dull low-pitched hum. Running the pump at 100% still makes less noise than a single case fan at 100% speed, but the pump's pitch is lower, almost like it's hard to tell the difference between a hum and a vibration.

That all being said, you'll likely not have any need to run it at full speed the whole time.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
it'll come down to loop size and flow rate. run it at a speed that'll keep you between .5-1GPM gains in cooling drop off a cliff around 1gpm.

• Rep+
Reactions: sultanofswing

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
Overclocking Yes full blast along with fan speed gets better temp spike control

Everyday No not for moderate overclocks usually a manual curve with 35-3600 rpm base to max at 80c or so bios default temp max if it ever gets there which it doesn't so the base 35-3600 is where it usually stays +-.

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Nope, didn't see any benefit at running them at full tilt so I dialed them back.... I don't actually recall what setting they're at but low, lol

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Do your test and find sweet spot. It all depends on type of blocks, radiators and length and complexity of your loop

E.G. Watercool (Heatkiller) blocks are famous for been optimized to run at low flow rates, yet keeping GPU's/CPU nice and cool, in that case your pump can run at the lowest speeds and been silent and dumping lest heat to the loop.
I have big....very big and complex dual loops, pump has to push through more obstacles you can imagine but my pumps are set at 2100RPM running fairly quiet and my flow rate stays at 0.4-0.5G/M and 3x Titan Blacks SC never goes pass 47C on heavy computing work, but that is because of the blocks and rads I use.

I am very picky, my system needs to be as quiet as possible but I also want my system to perform at its best so It took me a while to find the best pumps speed (via voltage)

FYI. There is diminishing point when running pumps at full speed, Its not worth it, Its good only for bleeding.

Attachments

·
Gamer
3,965 Posts
I always ran both my D5's at full speed. Single loop, dual 560 rads, two gpu blocks, vrm blocks, ram blocks board blocks with pumps at full speed was .5gpm. I could never hear them though.

·
I can count to potato
882 Posts
My old MCP655-B was fixed speed, so it ran 100% all the time. On Vario D5's I run on 5 until the bubbles clear up, then dial it down to whatever seems good. On my PWM D5, it's on a curve, I don't pay close attention, but it never gets to 100% speed.

No matter what speed it's at, I have never had a D5 that I would call loud. Typically it's the quietest moving component.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I always ran both my D5's at full speed. Single loop, dual 560 rads, two gpu blocks, vrm blocks, ram blocks board blocks with pumps at full speed was .5gpm. I could never hear them though.
Sounds like you have quite restrictive components if getting only 0.5g/m running dual D5's at full speed.
If you don't mind post your setup, I'm just curious:)

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
Sounds like you have quite restrictive components if getting only 0.5g/m running dual D5's at full speed.
blocking your entire board & memory will do that... N if he's got 90s right off the pump? flow is doomed.

99.99% of the time i'd rather put a passive block on my SB. & depending on mosfets? board cooling is almost pointless & purely aesthetic at this point.

no offense, glorious case you got there mate. I had 3x gk110 in my STH10 at one point. Back when a game or two would still use it.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
blocking your entire board & memory will do that... N if he's got 90s right off the pump? flow is doomed.

99.99% of the time i'd rather put a passive block on my SB. & depending on mosfets? board cooling is almost pointless & purely aesthetic at this point.

no offense, glorious case you got there mate. I had 3x gk110 in my STH10 at one point. Back when a game or two would still use it.
Ya M/B blocks and few other smaller blocks will bring your flow to its knees.

Btw. I was never into games I don't know why, I guess Its just me old fart:)

If there was single slot block for Titan black I would have ran 7 of them on that STH10, software I use would greatly befit of any amount of GPUs and CPU's and reason I use Titan Blacks because they still have full FP64 oppose to new Titans that are crippled

·
Gamer
3,965 Posts
Sorry for the low resolution but yeah lots of 90's... 19 to be exact. The board blocks are what killed the flow. It was a matter of I just want to say I can do it so I will. Definitely does not help cooling the rig more then the regular heatsinks. See my profile pic to see what I run now... small form factor aircooled.

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Sorry for the low resolution but yeah lots of 90's... 19 to be exact. The board blocks are what killed the flow. It was a matter of I just want to say I can do it so I will. Definitely does not help cooling the rig more then the regular heatsinks. See my profile pic to see what I run now... small form factor aircooled.
Nice PC:) Yes ram and M/B in combination with good size case and fittings will do it.

Thanks for posting you rig

Attachments

·
Gamer
3,965 Posts
Nice PC/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif Yes ram and M/B in combination with good size case and fittings will do it.

Thanks for posting you rig
Thank you and you’re welcome.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I did with my EK SR-2 block and both CPUs wc'd, never heard the thing either. My DDC in my X79 was louder.

On my new builds I doubt I'll lower the speed either.

·
Hardware Princess
1,848 Posts
My D5 has been at 100% since day one. I cannot hear any noise from it at all unless I:

1. Remove the side of my case
2. Turn off (entirely) every fan
3. Put my ear within 1' of it

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Alphacool VPP755, which is a D5 variant I believe ( https://www.alphacool.com/download/VPP 755.pdf ).
It comes with a potentiometer that allows you to easily set 5 different RPM levels. I have it on the lowest level and the water flow (120 l/h at the lowest level) is more than enough. The difference between level 1 and level 5 is like 1-2°C with my 3600X.
I'm sensitive to noise and at level 1 - 2 it's completely quiet. So, I'm very happy with it. However, it becomes audible at level 3, at level 4 it's louder than what I would tolerate and at level 5 it becomes annoying. Again, I'm sensible to noise, but it is definitely clearly audible at level 4 - 5. So it's probably not the best choice for people who just want that max flow all the time.

(My loop consists of a cheap Chinese GPU block, an Eisblock XPX, a 200x200x85mm rad and a 240x120x60mm rad.)

I'm new to custom loop watercooling, so I don't know how good other manufacturers are. But I'm not fully satisfied with the quality of the Alphacool products. Most of my parts are from a kit I picked up for an extremely good price, so bang for the buck was really good despite the slightly disappointing quality. But if I paid the full price, I wouldn't be satisfied. Imho and in my experience, the Alphacool parts are only mediocre to decent in quality, but cost a premium price - at least if you pay the full price.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I run my D5 at 85% (fixed) with a flow rate of 220 l/h. (almost 1 gpm)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts