·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
No that pump at max is about what we use for everyday stuff or moderate clocks on a real D5.
It's max oc'ing that that pump is not going to give anymore than it already does.

Pretty much why I said that is a looks only reservoir pump system

Bitspower has the same pretty reservoir but with a S1 maybe look at it
They are the ones that actually came out with these pretty reservoirs first I believe
EK is just coping them.
Twin the pump spec's as the ek
960 L/H

https://shop.bitspower.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=4_353&product_id=7163

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi,
No that pump at max is about what we use for everyday stuff or moderate clocks on a real D5.
It's max oc'ing that that pump is not going to give anymore than it already does.

Pretty much why I said that is a looks only reservoir pump system

Bitspower has the same pretty reservoir but with a S1 maybe look at it
They are the ones that actually came out with these pretty reservoirs first I believe
EK is just coping them.
Twin the pump spec's as the ek
960 L/H

https://shop.bitspower.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=4_353&product_id=7163
Thanks for the answer. I would like to have a silent pc when not under full load, is that pump pmw?
I see that the noise range is 40-45db pretty double the ddc pump I linked.

Am I wrong?

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
Yes PWM so it's bios adjustable
Noise really depends on mounting and system restriction
If you use rubber or plastic washers and everything is snug and dampened doubt it's that loud but that is also full blast too.

Better to have more pump pressure than not.

Most say D5's are loud at full blast I'd say no they aren't.
I haven't seen any ek spec's on db rating on any of their pumps not even D5's

·
Registered
888 Posts
I wanted to add some information to this thread. So I recently bought a EKWB D5 Inertia pump. And I cannot hear it at 100% speed AT ALL.

If I put my ear next to the pump, I still can’t hear it, or discern any sound coming from it. I only hear air moving around from my fairly quiet case fans, and radiator fans.

Every now and then I hear a water drop type noise coming from my EKWB D5. But other than that.. I simply don’t hear it at all.

I dunno if my pump was built on a Monday, or what But even if I put my finger on my pump. I can hardly feel that it’s running. I guess it’s like checking the pulse of a hamster lol. Is it alive?

I am amazed by the quality of my D5 pump.

Absolutely stunned!

I have (3) 360MM radiators, CPU block, and a GPU block.

I usually just let it run 100% that equates to around 3,579RPM average in the bios. But today, I decided to reduce it some. Maybe I don’t need 100% power running 24/7. So I managed to reduce down to about 72-75% without a change in my idle/load temperatures of my PC.

Anyways. I am absolutely amazed! I had no idea a quality D5 would be this good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes. I don't have a flow meter yet so it stays at 100%. Judging by the turbulence in the res flow is good.

I have mine mounted on the floor of the case. Using a Singularity Computers mount. It's bolted onto the fan mount with rubber washers to isolate it. My fans (ML120's) at 1100 rpm are near silent, and they're still louder than the pump.

Case is a O11D XL, sitting on my desk. The pump is about two feet from my ears. A D5 making an annoying noise at any rpm is either vibrating against the case (rubber washers fix that) or malfunctioning. That, or your loop is restrictive enough that the pump is cavitating. Which means you need another pump.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Old thread, but still worth considering. I never noticed a D5 to be particularly noisy, and I used to run two of them in series at full speed for a CPU/GPU loop with 2x 360x60 radiators, probably 6 ft. of 1/2" ID tubing, and plenty of connectors. One pump flowed enough to make bleeding troublesome. Two was overkill, but redundant, and I never had an issue with temps. Used them for years that way with a few different loop setups. My favorite was an external setup that used the pumps to push through a 3x360mm radiator and a gallon pickle jar res, along with probably 12 ft. of tubing. With some valves and extra ports in place, flushing that monster took about 3 minutes. It sure was fugly, but ran great.

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
Only when bleeding a new loop. I tend to run the pump 50% or below as it gets too noisy for my tastes above that. Honestly, unless you are pushing a lot of water through a lot of components, with a restrictive layout, in a big area, you don't need to run it max.

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
I run my ek kinetic d5 at 100% because I can't hear it anyway
What case ya'll using where you can't hear these things? I can hear every D5 pump I've ever used if its ever set to 50% or more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What case ya'll using where you can't hear these things? I can hear every D5 pump I've ever used if its ever set to 50% or more.
I think for me it’s because I have a window ac unit in my room running non stop which covers up the noise, plus I think I’m hard of hearing anyway

·
AMD Overclocker
6,336 Posts
Yes I run my D5 at full speed all the time. It's an older vario with no pwm control or anything. So I just set it and forget it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Same, I run at a touch below 40% for this reason. I find D5s have a higher-pitched hum at middle speeds which is quite audible to me (it seems like this frequency actually becomes less noticeable when running at 80-100%, although then it makes much more noise in other frequency ranges).

I do watercool for quietness, so my fans are always down. That may be a big difference in the perception of the D5 noise.

• Rep+
Reactions: Sir Beregond

·
Registered
232 Posts
D5's become more noisy the less water is in the loop/res and the rest of the system. Solid mounting also seem to enhance the high pitch noise. I use the 880ml Aquacomp res now and all that volume on top of it dampens it quite a bit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL. Where I'm sitting right now I wouldn't even have to use my full reach to grab the pump if the glass side of the case was removed. My fans are ML120's currently running at 1100rpm, and they're the only thing I can hear. I can hear the pump on startup as it spins up, if I'm really listening for it. That's the only time I even notice it's on.

I did notice during testing, with my pump just sitting on a table, that it can cause very loud chatter against whatever surface it's sitting on. All I had to do to stop that was pick it up. It was the mount vibrating against the table. I believe a standard mount screwed into the case will likely vibrate something. Mine is isolated with rubber washers. And I'm using the mount pictured below. Seems to hold the pump more securely than a side mount.

·
AMD Overclocker
6,336 Posts
Same, I run at a touch below 40% for this reason. I find D5s have a higher-pitched hum at middle speeds which is quite audible to me (it seems like this frequency actually becomes less noticeable when running at 80-100%, although then it makes much more noise in other frequency ranges).

I do watercool for quietness, so my fans are always down. That may be a big difference in the perception of the D5 noise.
I honestly run it at 100%. Because by the time my fans ramp up they outnoise my pump anyway.

• Rep+
Reactions: o1dschoo1
21 - 40 of 54 Posts