6,336 Posts

·
Just hangin' out
1,384 Posts
Yes, both.

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
Same, I run at a touch below 40% for this reason. I find D5s have a higher-pitched hum at middle speeds which is quite audible to me (it seems like this frequency actually becomes less noticeable when running at 80-100%, although then it makes much more noise in other frequency ranges).

I do watercool for quietness, so my fans are always down. That may be a big difference in the perception of the D5 noise.
Same here. I watercool for silence as well so generally run my fans at lower RPMs.

Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL. Where I'm sitting right now I wouldn't even have to use my full reach to grab the pump if the glass side of the case was removed. My fans are ML120's currently running at 1100rpm, and they're the only thing I can hear. I can hear the pump on startup as it spins up, if I'm really listening for it. That's the only time I even notice it's on.

I did notice during testing, with my pump just sitting on a table, that it can cause very loud chatter against whatever surface it's sitting on. All I had to do to stop that was pick it up. It was the mount vibrating against the table. I believe a standard mount screwed into the case will likely vibrate something. Mine is isolated with rubber washers. And I'm using the mount pictured below. Seems to hold the pump more securely than a side mount.

View attachment 2477933
I have a non-XL regular O11 Dynamic and can hear the pump quite annoyingly at more than 50%. I generally run it at about 35-40%. For comparison, all fans in the case are run at 1000 RPM.

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
Oops, sorry double post.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
2 D5s at max speed causes my Duraclear tubing to flatten upstream of the pumps, reducing the cross sectional area. I’m going to see if putting the pumps at opposite sides of the loop helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I run my EKWB FLT 120 D5 at 30%, ~1400 RPM when CPU temp is under 40C, between 40-60C it ramps up to 100%, 4736 RPM. I monitored temp of CPU at full load, CPU temp stayed at 69C with D5 running at 20%. I increase pump to full speed under CPU load because the FLT120 looks cool as pump changes speeds/flows. The D5 that came with the FLT120 is quiet. I used the stress CPU function in CPU-Z to make CPU run under full load. CPU is a Intel 8086K, overclocked 25%.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I run my pump of a 2-stage controller. 1800rpm when the system is idle and 4200rpm when the heatdump of the components is over ~50W.
I run the above speeds because they are the most quite in my system while being extremely performant. Speed inbetween like 3500rpm are louder than 4200rpm, so I never want to run those speeds. Which can happen incase I would choose a curve.
To meassure the heat dump, you need a watersensor on the inlet and outlet of a radiator. Then you know how much heat the radiator is dispersing.

The result is that my pump never ramps up while browsing or doing light tasks. As soon as I start a render or a game, the pump kicks in 20 seconds later and I have maximal performance available.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I run 2x EK D5's with an EK Duel Revo top, I set mine to run at just over 227lh or 1 US GPM which is about 87% speed. Only time that changes is like others said, when bleeding the loop. They are attached to a 120 fan mount at the front/bottom of my Corsair 900D. I have found the EK anti vibration mounts that come with there D5's to be very good.

·
Knowledge is Success
452 Posts
I run my VPP655PWM at 2700Rpm and tbh is very quiet (can’t hear it) tested it at 2000/3000/4000 and 5000Rpm and the difference is a few degrees less or more.

2700Rpm works great for me, ran Prime95 for an hour, ambient temps was 25,5c

If the pump speed is 2 low the water will sit longer in the blocks (we dont want that) and if it is too fast it wont have enough time to remove the heat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
New loop here, two D5 NEXT pumps from aquacomputer mounted on shoggy sandwiches.
I am currently running them at 100% and I can't hear a thing unless I put my ear right to them or I turn off all fans.
Whatever sound they make is totally drowned out by regular fan sounds, but I never intended for a silent PC.

·
Just hangin' out
1,384 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: jamie1073
41 - 54 of 54 Posts