Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much trial and error I have finally worked out how to add UEFI Gop to a 7950/7970 bios

I tested this because my powercolor 7950 has 2 bios, 1 normal and 1 boost but only boost bios had uefi gop, so after some comparing and some failed attempts I have successfully added uefi gop to my non boost bios!!

So does anyone want to supply me with their bios and I can add uefi gop to it for testing??

My idea with this thread is first some initial testing then if all goes well I will write up a how to so everyone can do it for themselves

So if anyone wants to put their bios on here for me to add uefi gop I will give it a try, please note though to make a back up of your bios before flashing my modded bios and I recommend only those with dual bios to test just in case I will not be the blame for problems and bricked cards so flash at your own risk.

If posting a bios for me to edit please let me know the exact card that the bios has come from (link to the makers website of it if you can) and also let me know the stock core and memory clock. Without this I cannot help

Here are some tested and working bios:

PowerColor 7950 PCS+ Stock Clocks with UEFI (Mod By Me) 800MHz core:

PowerColor 7950 Stock.zip 106k .zip file


PowerColor 7950 PCS+ Boost Clocks with UEFI (Supplied by PowerColor) 925MHz core:

PowerColor 7950 Boost.zip 106k .zip file


Sapphire 7950 11196-00 with UEFI (Mod By Me) 810MHz core:
Removed temporarily for testing

MSI 7970 TFIII with UEFI (Supplied by MSI):

7950.TFIII.UEFI.zip 102k .zip file


MSI 7970 Lightning with UEFI (Supplied by MSI):

170_180.zip 208k .zip file


If you have a Gigabyte card please check the downloads section on the Gigabyte website first as they have a few on there

To Flash Bios:

For full tutorial on how to backup and flash there is a good guide by KaRLiToS here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1353325/tutorial-atiwinflash-how-to-flash-the-bios-of-your-ati-cards

For those wanting to do their own mods please see here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1389206/do-you-want-uefi-gop-on-your-7950-7970-i-can-add-it-to-your-bios/120#post_20172963
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
I have an MSI Radeon 7950 with Twin Frozr III and it is pretty solid as it is, OC of 1200/1575. Will this BIOS increase my overclocking headroom or is it purely to say you can. I haven't really had issues with my BIOS, it is voltage unlocked and everything. Also it is the 7950 PCB (aka boost edition) not the 7970 PCB version. Basically, what can this BIOS mod do for me?

Also my motherboard actually has errors (sometimes boots then hangs or just boots and black screens) booting with my card sometimes, I know UEFI GOP can sometime solve this on motherboards with fastboot and CSM like mine. I'm willing to try anything that will fix this, I do have the dual BIOS switch on my card. Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytech7 View Post

I have an MSI Radeon 7950 with Twin Frozr III and it is pretty solid as it is, OC of 1200/1575. Will this BIOS increase my overclocking headroom or is it purely to say you can. I haven't really had issues with my BIOS, it is voltage unlocked and everything. Also it is the 7950 PCB (aka boost edition) not the 7970 PCB version. Basically, what can this BIOS mod do for me?

Also my motherboard actually has errors booting with my card sometimes, I know UEFI GOP can sometime solve this on motherboards with fastboot like mine. Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Basically UEFI Gop will allow you to use the Ultra Fast Boot option on newer motherboards if running Windows 8

This mod will have no ill effects at all to any bios as its only adding extra code to allow UEFI Gop it doesn't modify or remove anything else
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Okay, I'm willing to give it a try. What program do you suggest I use to pull the BIOS for you. Let me know, I'll do it as soon as I get home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytech7 View Post

Okay, I'm willing to give it a try. What program do you suggest I use to pull the BIOS for you. Let me know, I'll do it as soon as I get home.
AtiWinflash as you will need that to reflash will work, or GPUZ pulled mine without a hitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
I read up on UEFI GOP... Pardon my multi posting.... so essentially you are going to take my BIOS and add on the code for the GOP abilities but my BIOS will be otherwise unchanged? Also do you want the BIOS from the switch in position 1 or 2 or both?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytech7 View Post

I read up on UEFI GOP... Pardon my multi posting.... so essentially you are going to take my BIOS and add on the code for the GOP abilities but my BIOS will be otherwise unchanged? Also do you want the BIOS from the switch in position 1 or 2 or both?
Exactly!

Well what is difference between your 2 bios? I guess one is with higher clocks?

Send both if you like but make sure I know which is which and what the stock clocks are for each

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftln View Post

Can you share your technique of adding uefi gop support to bios please ?
I would like to test more before making a full write up but basically you add uefi to the end of the bios and then change a string in the header to let the bios know the uefi code is there

EDIT: If you supply me a bios I can edit it for you to test then if it works you can hex compare to see the changes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstears View Post

I would like to test more before making a full write up but basically you add uefi to the end of the bios and then change a string in the header to let the bios know the uefi code is there

EDIT: If you supply me a bios I can edit it for you to test then if it works you can hex compare to see the changes...
Bios attached 2 post above, are you busy ? I would like to try now if possible
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftln View Post

Ok all has worked, just gonna check my volts etc etc
So you can confirm UEFI Gop is 100% working with ultra fast boot?

Also please list your exact card and its stock clocks so I can add the bios to first post
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytech7 View Post

Gonna test it now, wish me luck
biggrin.gif
It should be fine but its 2.10am here so need to go soon so if you could let me know sooner rather than later I may be able to help you out quick tonight
 
1 - 20 of 452 Posts
Top