Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, sorry if this is in the wrong area because i don't think its a graphics card problem, but i didn't know where to put it.

Anyway, to business.

I have been having this same problem for a long time now, as long as i can remember. My FPS is always moving around and jumping around, sometimes as much as 20-30. I will be playing and it will be hopping around at between 60 - 90, i think its making my game much less smooth and harder to play.

Before a few days ago i thought this was down to my old graphics card, but i just picked up a new graphics card. With my old card i was getting around 60FPS (inno3D 7300GT) but still the same jumpy fps problem. When i picked up the new card (9800GT) i expected the FPS to be much better, but it has only improved by minimal amounts, and there is still the horribly jumpy fps problem.

So that my problem, do any of your have any suggestions to what i can do to improve my FPS and stop the jumpy problem...

Thanks for reading..

P.S all the game settings are on low..

and the game i play is CSS, im no expert but i think i should be getting better FPS then 90 on that game with a 9800GT 512GB...

thanks for reading xx
Adam

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Really, 90FPS on CS:S is not bad at all. Moving on to your seeming problem of FPS spikes, this is completely normal. Your FPS will not be stationary. Whenever you move your character around in a virtual world you GPU is having to render the environment, using millions of triangles, from different perspectives and angles.

Take my experiences with Crysis for example. In every single environmental instance in that game I experienced different frame rate levels especially when viewing different rendered effects such as fire and snow. When these rendered effects where brought on screen my frame rates would tank due to the higher need for GPU rendering. It was not uncommon for me at all to see my FPS bounce from 40-60 FPS during different instances in the game.

There are several instances all over the net of people posting their FPS of CS:S while having ranges between 30-120 FPS depending on the on screen interactions.

If you really want to see your 7300 compared to your 9800 you need to run a video benchmark. By the way, with your 9800 you should be able to play CS:S on high.

• Rep+
Reactions: adam.d

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the advice... i was mislead by a clan mate telling me the fps shouldn't be doing that.

I'm still slightly disappointed that my fps is not a bit higher after getting a new graphics card, but hey, that's life

1 - 3 of 3 Posts