Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running on a 2600k with HT on...
My vcore is 1.375v in bios... When I run prime it jumps to 1.392v - 1.4v.. Are these numbers good for 4.8ghz?

Also... When I'm on idle... my voltage stays at 1.368v... Arent the voltage suppose to go down during idle? even after OC??

Any help will be appreciated... thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,121 Posts
So you got some volts. Did you allready try to get them lower?
Interesting would be the temps too...
Edit: I look @ it like this if your chip needs a bit more / less than others you can`t change that anyway. And 1,38v is the save limit iirc so this should be near max. volt.
Edit2: look over here for some infos:
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/968053-official-sandy-stable-club-post-your.html
Man there are guys out there running this poor chip with 1,47xx volts o_O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
First off no one knows the "safe" limits for the volts on these chips. Hell I've thrown my chip up to 1.85 and I've seen no degradation so far.

As for the volt increases during load that is probably because you have your LLC (Load line calibration) to auto or to the highest setting. You need to figure out which setting is best on your motherboard to keep it relative to your bios voltage. I use the second highest LLC level (I think its ultra?) for my mild oc and the voltages never go past my BIOS settings but do dip a little bit.

As for the voltages not decreasing at idle is due to you using a manual voltage for your OC instead of the offset voltage. Personally I would stick with a manual voltage setting instead so you don't have to fight constant idle BSOD even if you are rock stable at full load.

Hope that helps a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopa88;13057066
As for the voltages not decreasing at idle is due to you using a manual voltage for your OC instead of the offset voltage. Personally I would stick with a manual voltage setting instead so you don't have to fight constant idle BSOD even if you are rock stable at full load.
i switched to offset voltage and wouldnt go back. It's nice to have power when i need it:

meshintaketemps.png


but not when i don't:

idlev.png


It took a little more work to get it up and running the way i wanted, but i think it was worth it and i have never gotten a bsod at idle (or load) since i settled on these settings.

I found out what my lowest static vcore was for the OC i wanted, 1.395 @ 5ghz, and then tried to replicate it using offset instead of manual. It took some trial and error, and runs slightly higher at points during load than a static vcore (it will hit 1.4 briefly running prime) but it is a trade off i am willing to make.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlap1xx;13054218
I'm running on a 2600k with HT on...
My vcore is 1.375v in bios... When I run prime it jumps to 1.392v - 1.4v.. Are these numbers good for 4.8ghz?

Also... When I'm on idle... my voltage stays at 1.368v... Arent the voltage suppose to go down during idle? even after OC??

Any help will be appreciated... thanks
1.375 is exactly what I need to get 4.8 stable on mine, so I'd say your numbers seem to be pretty much normal. While no two CPUs are the same, based on many posts I've read here on OCN, 1.375 is a perfectly acceptable voltage for 4.8.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopa88;13057066
Hell I've thrown my chip up to 1.85 and I've seen no degradation so far.
Holy batman, batman! I wish I was as brave as you
eek.gif


And I've not had any experience with 2600k chips, but I've seen people hit a perfectly stable 4.8ghz with far lower voltages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton;13059085
i switched to offset voltage and wouldnt go back. It's nice to have power when i need it:

meshintaketemps.png


but not when i don't:

idlev.png


It took a little more work to get it up and running the way i wanted, but i think it was worth it and i have never gotten a bsod at idle (or load) since i settled on these settings.

I found out what my lowest static vcore was for the OC i wanted, 1.395 @ 5ghz, and then tried to replicate it using offset instead of manual. It took some trial and error, and runs slightly higher at points during load than a static vcore (it will hit 1.4 briefly running prime) but it is a trade off i am willing to make.
Just wondering why you are only running four threads in prime.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,269 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compudaze;13069636
No. He's probably not used to seeing all the worker threads in the same window. But you should use RealTemp 3.67 as it works with Sandy Bridge correctly. =)
thanks
smile.gif
 

·
Facepalm
Joined
·
9,516 Posts
Some programs need updating to work with SB.
Cpu-Z doesn't read vcore properly on B3 gigabyte boards, thus you need to use HWinfo32. HWmonitor apparently does work, but it reports two vcores, "Vcore" as VTT and "cpu" as the vcore :/

Realtemp 3.67 works fully with SB, as well as the latest throttlestop.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top