Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title asks, does it? I have a friend that wants to sell/trade me his xfx 5970 for some other hardware + cash I have. Basically his 5970 for 2x gtx 260 Black editions and $1oo cash. Makes right over $500 which everyone can agree sounds like a good deal.

I have my 5870s in CFX and love them. Don't have issues with them and max out everything I have. Since in reality a semi used 5970 is only going to cost me $100 I was wondering if I could just add it to the rest.

Has anyone tried/done this?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond View Post
i did this a while back. it was great. but i wanted room for a physx card again so i picked up another 5970.

just bump the 5970 up to 850/1200. they all will do it pretty much.

my old setup was an XFX 5970BE and two MSI 5870 EF6's

heres an old pic of it.

it was so hot lol. my setup runs so much cooler now

Nice! Both that it works and I liked the rig pic. Im also selling my 750 P&P to him to get that same PSU u got. I have a gt240 for physx that would hang around also. What got you the better performance? Your 2 5970s or this method?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

thanks, its much different now. and you wont be disappointed with the antec TPQ-1200. a fine unit it is.

and if you liked that pic, heres the system now

When you say "much cooler", how much is it? LOL it looks like it would still get hella hot
Thats one of my concerns because I recently changed the side panel and lost the 4x 120mm fans I had.

Your rig is still pretty sick though.Nicely done!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverSightX View Post
When you say "much cooler", how much is it? LOL it looks like it would still get hella hot
Thats one of my concerns because I recently changed the side panel and lost the 4x 120mm fans I had.

Your rig is still pretty sick though.Nicely done!
well. the 5970's have their fans exposed to open air, unlike 2 out of 3 of the gpu's in the 5970+5870+5870 config.

the 465 is short enough to leave 95% of the fan exposed on the top 5970, and the bottom one is fully exposed.

but with my old quadfire config, there was only a few millimeters clearance between cards

also, 5970's run cooler. their coolers have a giant vapor chamber in them.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

well. the 5970's have their fans exposed to open air, unlike 2 out of 3 of the gpu's in the 5970+5870+5870 config.

the 465 is short enough to leave 95% of the fan exposed on the top 5970, and the bottom one is fully exposed.

but with my old quadfire config, there was only a few millimeters clearance between cards

also, 5970's run cooler. their coolers have a giant vapor chamber in them.
Makes sense. I hope my temps dont increase to much. My top card only reaches 68c max and im ok with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts