Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been happy to put up with motion blur on my BL3200PT for the past few years, but as I'm looking for a new monitor to experience G-Sync, I'm wondering if high-refresh rate VA panels make any sense.

I'm interested in the Predator Z321QU, but is smearing a thing of the past, or even those new models are affected?

Wouldn't motion blur defeat the purpose of going past 60Hz?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Not really sure what you mean. The advantage of high refresh rates goes beyond motion blur. TN, IPS and VA panels will have some degree of motion blur but the G2G and refresh rate are different things.
The refresh rate is how many different frames you will see in a second while the G2G is how fast the pixels will respond.

Going from 60hz TN to the 144hz 27" Nexius EDG is night and day even if you only focus on motion blur.
I still have all the advantages of 144hz, a tiny bit of motion blur doesn't negate that, it's not even something I can see unless I look for it while spinning really fast.

144hz= 6.9ms frames
60hz=16.6ms frames
You can't really even compare the two IMO.

·
Never Finished
2,314 Posts
He is referring to the ghosting that is common with VA type panels. In dark shade transitions like from 0 (black) to 50 (dark grey) and back to 0, the pixels in VA-type panels will take a lot longer to change than other panel types. TN and IPS are more uniform and faster in that respect. It isn't uncommon to see >30ms response times in those areas, which is way slower than required to utilize 120Hz+. However, this issue primarily occurs only in the darker shades, and the rest of the range behaves normally - low response times.

VA panels aren't good with dark transitions, and GTG response time measurements don't show that since they start in grey, go to white, and go back to grey. The problem with VA types is from black to grey back to black, and those will not be reflected in GTG.

To answer your question, no, VA panels haven't changed in that respect. While latency has dropped in recent years, refresh rate has also increased, and VA just isn't fast enough in the dark shades. The rest of the range can utilize 120Hz+, but movement in dark areas will likely show some ghosting/smearing/inky transitions. That said ~80% of the panel will utilize high refresh rates. The other 20% will be the blacks that will be slower than the rest. There are other benefits to high refresh rates than just clarity, though. Input latencies are reduced due the shorter intervals between frames. Also, pixels refreshing at 120/144Hz+ are usually faster than ones refreshing at 60Hz on the same monitor.

You also get the benefit on some monitors of having backlight strobing or black frame insertion (versus the blurrier or standard sample and hold)which gives you excellent clarity. However, to properly utilize strobing, you need to have response times twice as fast as your refresh rate. So, for 120Hz or 8.33ms, you need pixels that can transition around 4.165ms to account for the black frames that are inserted. Otherwise, you'll get some unpleasant overshoot.

If you want more uniform response times across the spectrum, look at IPS, TN, or OLED panels. IPS has good viewing angles, good color gamut, and fast enough response times to utilize 144Hz on some monitors. Downside is IPS glow and average contrast. TN is the fastest LCD type, but colors and viewing angles aren't as good compared to IPS. Contrast is also kind of average (1000:1). OLED is currently the fastest panel on the market with uniform ~0.1ms response times, infinte contrast, and excellent color gamut and accuracy, but they're costly, the blue subpixels are subject to a shorter lifespan versus the other subpixels, and burn-in can be an issue. I don't think there is a 120Hz mainstream option either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers, since the issue is just related to the darker areas I think I'll go with VA.

Since I already have a VA, it might be difficult to part ways with its contrast and black levels.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Every VA panel I tried so far was too slow for 144hz. 120hz are usually the way to go for a (fast) VA panel.

The LG 32GK850G that has been recommended also performs the best at 120hz.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
My modded Seiki with a 39" 4k VA panel looks good in 120hz strobing. Not nearly as clear as my 4k 120TN panel with strobing but still much better than most monitors out there. As others have said high refresh has other benefits too but it can still look good with a VA panel at 120hz. Honestly I dont think any monitor looks good at higher than 120hz. Even TN panels smear a lot as you get too high. The only current tech we have that is fast enough for 144hz and above is OLED.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
So, you're saying for the Samsung VA 1440p 144hz panels, downclock the panel to 120hz? I've been eyeing the C27HG70 for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
So, you're saying for the Samsung VA 1440p 144hz panels, downclock the panel to 120hz? I've been eyeing the C27HG70 for quite some time.

I would either:

1) use 120hz if you can maintain that in a game
2) use 144hz with Nvidia's "adaptive half rate" vsync if you cant maintain 120fps in games. This would give you smooth motion but only need to maintain 72fps in a game for great clarity

the 144hz/72fps works pretty well as it drives the pixels twice per frame, but since the frame isnt telling the pixels to change to a new configuration more than a 72hz frequency it eliminates the majority of VA smearing while still maintaining much more fluid motion than regular 60hz monitor and has good input lag.

·
Premium Member
9,494 Posts
I've been happy to put up with motion blur on my BL3200PT for the past few years, but as I'm looking for a new monitor to experience G-Sync, I'm wondering if high-refresh rate VA panels make any sense.

I'm interested in the Predator Z321QU, but is smearing a thing of the past, or even those new models are affected?

Wouldn't motion blur defeat the purpose of going past 60Hz?
I have the Z321QU, looks awesome, though I can't tell any differences between 144hz and 165hz personally.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently took home a Acer Z35P (VA). I ran it at 100hz with overdrive set to normal. Given how i saw it perform at 100hz, I did not even attempt to overdrive it further or run it at 120hz. Dark scenes like rain in a night sky, or lightning / lights on a dark night sky, i could see a huge difference between the Z35P and the AW3418DW (IPS). I came from a VA monitor and giving up the deep blacks for IPS has been a big adjustment but i think its worth it. Even in a dark game like Elite Dangerous, IPS still pulls it off well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts