Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
They use render farms with QuadroFX cards and Xeon processors AFAIK.

There is no way they would use a desktop gaming graphics card. They use high-end workstation cards which poop all over the fermi's as far as 3D rendering goes.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTechRex View Post
they use cards that go for around $5,000. like QuadroFX and TESLA GPUs.
Can those $5,000 cards be used for gaming or would it be pointless?

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Plus support and software isn't that great with standard retail cards

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IlovetheChosenone View Post

They can but the Fermi's will give you better performance.

There is a reason why they make gaming cards and workstation cards. Gaming cards are good for gaming, workstation cards are good for...well work
LIke CAD and stuff

And also, I think I have seen some Tesla GPU's around $25K+

So no, use gaming cards for gaming and workstation cards for high-end, professional CAD work

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Their computers 'Farms' are probably worth 1,000,000 dollars.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

Those cards are designed to be used in work environments with heavy rendering and tessellation - not for use with general gaming. As an above poster said, there is little to no support for games and non-business applications.

GeForce and Radeon cards were designed to be used for gaming. They were optimized for the environments they are going to be in, much like Quadro and FirePro.

You will see better performance with a GTX 480 than with a $5000 Quadro.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Usually they don't buy individual graphics cards. They will buy some sort of processing station designed to do work like rendering, and it will be very large like mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAHAHA, their expensive cards suck at gaming while the gtx 480/470 perform better at gaming. There cards are only good for rendering and editing videos! Nice way to spend 5 grand on a video cards that only purpose is to render stuff but sucks at gaming!

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Quote:

HAHAHA, their expensive cards suck at gaming while the gtx 480/470 perform better at gaming. There cards are only good for rendering and editing videos! Nice way to spend 5 grand on a video cards that only purpose is to render stuff but sucks at gaming!

Why the hell would they buy cards for gaming?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
Why the hell would they buy cards for gaming?
+1.
If the point of the computer/server they get is for rendering, why would they need it to play games..?
THINKB4UPOST, bro.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Quote:
During the height of production, ILM dedicated 80 percent of its total rendering capacity to Transformers 2, one time even hitting 83 percent. "We broke all the ILM records," Smith says. "Everyone else squeezed into 17 percent." How much is that? ILM's render farm has 5700 core processors, the newest of which are dual processor and quad cores (eight cores per blade), with up to 32 GB of memory per blade. In addition, the render farm can access the 2000 core processors in the artists' workstations, which ups the total core processors to 7700. As for data storage, the studio's data center currently has 500 TB online. Transformers 2 sucked up 154 TB, more than seven times the 20 TB needed for 2007's Transformers.
Just imagine all the pc's on ocn and times that by like 100 to match the performance...

and this is ILM about 2 yrs ago

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:

Like another person said, these Quadros (Especially the 6000) poop on the 480 in rendering performance. We're talking x20 performance.

Edit: I wonder what resolution they render these movies at. I read that it takes them like a day to render a frame or two, even with all that power.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
hollywood studios using gtx 480.... lol thanks for the laugh haha

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by afunyun
View Post

Like another person said, these Quadros (Especially the 6000) poop on the 480 in rendering performance. We're talking x20 performance.

Edit: I wonder what resolution they render these movies at. I read that it takes them like a day to render a frame or two, even with all that power.

I would imagine they would render at 1080p but who knows XD

And I'm pretty sure it take about 6hrs per frame, not a day

1 - 17 of 17 Posts