Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the posts and can't find any about the question I have.
I'm thinking about getting one and what I need to know is, are the first 2 (only) 16X slots far enough apart to support 2 dual slot cards, or just 2 single slot cards? They advertise 2 SLI and Xfire support, but that doesn't mean dual slot support. A lot of people think it's just a 2 single card width MB.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
/delete

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvjavs View Post
Which Sabertooth? X58 or P55? The P55 I know for a fact can fit 2 dual slot cooler video cards.
X58, didn't know there was a X55, sorry.
By the pictures it looks like there's room. Looks just like my Gigabyte and old M2N-SLI Deluxe as far as distance between slots. Just a lot of people are saying 2 dual slot cards won't fit??? I wanted to get some info from someone who bought one.

Thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgetiton View Post
X58, didn't know there was a X55, sorry.
By the pictures it looks like there's room. Looks just like my Gigabyte and old M2N-SLI Deluxe as far as distance between slots. Just a lot of people are saying 2 dual slot cards won't fit??? I wanted to get some info from someone who bought one.

Thanks
i'm sure they'd fit, but the top card would choke to death in the process. they cards would practically touch each other.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sch010 View Post
i'm sure they'd fit, but the top card would choke to death in the process. they cards would practically touch each other.
That's what I thought too. That's the setup I have on this MB, I just use the little 3" Crossfire bridge the cards are so close together. I have the top card fan running at 55% (49-51c idle) and the bottom card fan on AUTO, usually 35% (42-44c idle) so yes the top card does pay the price. But these 5770s run so cool it doesn't matter. I just wanted to make sure they'd fit in the Sabertooth before ordering it. That's one ugly MB.

Thanks for the input.
LL

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
What I'm curious to know is, if you can run one on top and one hanging off the end, for the spacing(if your case would fit it).

On newegg it says 2 pcie x16 2.0 and 1 pcie x16.

I guess these low end boards can't have everything lol.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...58-review.html

Quote:
Some of the more notable features are its design, 3 PCIe x16 (mechanical) slots, out of which 2 can run full speed x16 SLI, The 3rd one can be used for say a PhysX card and runs x4 PCIe lanes.
Supports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology
Supports ATI® Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology
^^ From Asus site directly.

FTW

Rebel

·
Registered
54 Posts
The very bottom slot runs in PCIE x16 speed = PCIE 2.0 x8 speed, not x4 or x1. I'd just run them on the top and bottom express slots for better cooling.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks nitesoul. That's way to tight. I'll have to go another route. It's a ugly board anyway. ha.

Fanofou

I don't think your right. The first few slots are usually the 16X slots. There's nothing printed on the board for the first or third slot but the 2nd slot is marked 16X, so I'm pretty sure it's the 1st and 2nd slots that are 16X. If so the guy in the Youtube clip would use the last slot, no?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgetiton
View Post

Thanks nitesoul. That's way to tight. I'll have to go another route. It's a ugly board anyway. ha.

Fanofou

I don't think your right. The first few slots are usually the 16X slots. There's nothing printed on the board for the first or third slot but the 2nd slot is marked 16X, so I'm pretty sure it's the 1st and 2nd slots that are 16X. If so the guy in the Youtube clip would use the last slot, no?

in the specs it says 2 pcie 2.0 x16, and then 1 pcie x16(assumed 1.0) and everyone was saying 4x and 1x.

Hes just saying even tho it's pci 1.0, it would be like PCIE 2.0 8x

I don't think the performance hit is all that serious.

Even the asus p6x58d-e has 8x on that last slot.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsan View Post
in the specs it says 2 pcie 2.0 x16, and then 1 pcie x16(assumed 1.0) and everyone was saying 4x and 1x.

Hes just saying even tho it's pci 1.0, it would be like PCIE 2.0 8x

I don't think the performance hit is all that serious.

Ah yes, your right. I was taking it as X1. But it would be X8 in PCIe 1 @X16. So you could use the first and 3rd slots but lose the X8 lanes in the 3rd slot.

Expansion Slots

PCI Express 2.0 x16 = 2

PCI Express x16 = 1

PCI x1 = 1

Yes, but I will only use 2 slots. I believe that's enough. And there's plenty of room on that board for 2 cards in the first 2 X16 slots, I checked. No USB3 or SATA3 but...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a X58 and I can tell you: two dual slot cards WILL NOT fit in the top two x16 slots on the board. This is disappointing because if you run one card in the top x16 slot and one card in the very bottom x4 slot you will take a huge hit. CPU-z confirmed that the bottom slot is only a PCI 1.1 slot, so you are running one PCI 2.0 x16 and one PCI 1.1 together...I got better performance with just a single card in the x16 slot than this mixed-PCI setup.

So, if you are thinking of buying this board and want to run 2 dual slot cards, I'm sorry to tell you that it won't work. Other than this fact the board is great, but for nearly $200 you'd think they would design it for 2 larger cards.

Note that I was able to cram (with some force) the two cards into the upper x16 slots. Crossfire performed as advertised, but the mechanical stress on the cards caused program crashes and graphical glitches, rendering the system unusable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts