Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was one that aimed to compete with Windows and use a nice GUI. I remember reading up on in on distro-watch but can't seem to find it anymore. It had that really, really nice GUI with awesome looking folders. At that time, the people creating that distro were offering other services on their web site...that's about all I have to go on...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Google was starting its big OS, about 2 years ago, for competitive reasons. So far they have pretty much stomped down Palm, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile, with Android. The PC release from Google has already happened, but its not going as planned for them. I think its the overpriced netbooks they are putting it on. Although in the tablet PC division they are doing quite well. The biggest Smartphone and Tablet PC OS's are Apple's OS and Google's Android.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StupidMonkey
View Post

Google was starting its big OS, about 2 years ago, for competitive reasons. So far they have pretty much stomped down Palm, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile, with Android. The PC release from Google has already happened, but its not going as planned for them. I think its the overpriced netbooks they are putting it on. Although in the tablet PC division they are doing quite well. The biggest Smartphone and Tablet PC OS's are Apple's OS and Google's Android.

I think he was referring to a GNU/Linux distribution that was trying to make it's desktop environment similar to the Windows GUI so that Windows users could make the switch easier. I vaguely recall around 2 years ago Zorin was really marketing itself as just that, but others could argue that a few other distros do that as well: Linux Mint for example.

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,862 Posts
Linux XP was very close (until it was discontinued). It even had root login by default and a 30-day trial period. Can't get much better than that for making Linux as familiar as possible!

• Rep+
Reactions: iPoop

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,447 Posts
Greetz
Xandros was shooting for an Enterprise/SOHO distro with a debian based package manager and a modified KDE desktop that was very windows-y. They even signed a deal with Microsoft. That's when I stopped using it as a 2nd.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jimi got it!

ZorinOS was the Linux distro that came about...too bad they went the wrong direction with it. *sigh*

Thanks for the input guys! I'll rep each of you for the effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.