Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the same tube of Arctic Silver 5 for over six months. However the last two applications (I've tried the grain of rice size drop in the middle, the ultra thin layer spread over the IHS, and the small line down the center of the dual core) have resulted in high temps!

One is my E6600 with a Apogee GT Extreme, swiftech pump and 220 RAD. My temps at 3.37GHz and 1.28v are
37/33°C idle.

Then on a new build last night, I have an Opteron 170 with a Tuniqe Tower 120 (lapped up to 2000 grit), three 120mm case fans in an Antec P180 case, and OCed to 2.5GHz with 1.35v, the idle temps are 49/40°C. I'm tempted to remove the IHS and run the core naked! I've already been successful with an A64 3000+.

Any advice? New AS5?

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Not at all, as long as you store it tip down so all the seperation goes to the other side of the tube. And also keeping it in the refrigerator slows down the seperation. Also as5 website claims the seperated stuff is still good. Ive no real world testing for you though.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by vwgti
View Post

Not at all, as long as you store it tip down so all the seperation goes to the other side of the tube. And also keeping it in the refrigerator slows down the seperation. Also as5 website claims the seperated stuff is still good. Ive no real world testing for you though.

I had the tube tip down in the box when I put it away last, but I pulled it out after a few months and found it on its side. The compound had an even consistency when I applied it, but I cant figure out the temps? I've never had high temps like this before!

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
you have to store it tip down...

I'd just pick up a new tube to see what's up...it's cheap anyways.

Also, are the ambients different? Because clearly the temps will be higher if ambient is higher...

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideburns
View Post

you have to store it tip down...

I'd just pick up a new tube to see what's up...it's cheap anyways.

Also, are the ambients different? Because clearly the temps will be higher if ambient is higher...

No, the ambient is about 75°F. I'm just getting abnormally high temps! You're right though, I should just pick up another tube and try it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.