Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have Windows 7 on my SSD and it boots up really fast and everything. Though I can't help but notice over the months that it takes a bit longer. At first, after the windows logo came up, it went right to desktop. Then as time goes by, from the windows logo, it goes to a black screen and the to the desktop. Then now I see the welcome screen for a couple seconds, then goes to the desktop etc... Just wanted to know what causes this? I haven't been installing things on my computer much or anything. >.<

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
There are many factors that lead to boot time slowing down, hard drive fragmentation, if your SSD doesn't have TRIM support, and well, windows being windows
thats why I reformat ever several months to avoid slowing down!

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Everything you install has a performance hit. Every file you download causes a performance hit, basically everything you change from a vanilla install alters the performance in a (generally) bad way. Where should I start? File fragmentation to services starting up to registry key entries....

In short, windows performance changes accordingly to how you alter not only the operating system but the drive that it's on. So if you want performance not to change you have to have the OS/pagefile run on a partition that never gets files added to it, you also need to disable every startup app that runs. That's a bit extreme but that would also be for a purist.

·
Banned
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have TRIM support enabled on my drive though, is it good to reformat often or is there another way around doing that?

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post
hard drive fragmentation
Irrelevant with an SSD, especially with wear leveling.

There's a couple of factors at play.
One, there's likely more crap installed now in both windows and on the PC in general. Two, you've likely gotten used to the responsiveness and it isn't some new thing anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beers View Post
Irrelevant with an SSD, especially with wear leveling.

There's a couple of factors at play.
One, there's likely more crap installed now in both windows and on the PC in general. Two, you've likely gotten used to the responsiveness and it isn't some new thing anymore.
Oh yeah, I forgot that on the SSD part and file fragmentation. =( I don't have an SSD so it always slips my mind. So I guess in that instance it would be purely on the startup apps and reg keys. Could also be other hardware components that have been added and or modified, such as indexing for a standard HDD.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
That's the downfall (and invent of TRIM) of SSD, they slow down over very short time (without TRIM, a little longer w/TRIM) and can't be "emptied" like RAM chips at shutdown. Everything that gets added to the SSD stays on the SSD, until reformat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts