+Asus sabertooth x58
+core i7 970
+ 1 HDD seagate 1TB , 1HDD seagate 1.5TB
+1 SD drive
+1 bluray drive
+ 1 Asus GTX 580
+ case NZXT phantom .
AND RAM is : 4 Gb RAM DELL 1066 mhz

so my question is : Can core i7 970 support 4 Gb RAM DDR3 dual channel DELL 1066 mhz ?

+I just built a new system with those thins above , but when I pressed on "Start button" The system started and stopped and I saw a flash light and a sound from the system , and a very little smoke from there " . Then I turned off PSU immediately , but I don't know what problem came from , so I think maybe the problem came from [DELL RAM] . I checked back my system but nothing explore in there , just like the original .
+If anyone know these ,please help me .

Thanks

·
Music Producer
4,860 Posts
The power supply most likely died.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Dual channel ram will work. But you are buying a motherboard that uses triple channel ram. So buy the ram that is made for it to get the best results and speed. You can buy 3 packs of dual channel and make 2 kits of triple channel if that is what you want to do. But i prefer to buy a matched set of triple channel. And it is cheap to being with.

What voltage was the ram, 1.65v or less?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPie
View Post

The power supply most likely died.

the PSU still work good , because i just moved it from the old PC

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutOfBalanceOX
View Post

ram doesnt cause fires bro, unless its ddr2 and you forced it into a ddr3 socket

that's DDR3 RAM from dell with bus speed 1066

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_K
View Post

Dual channel ram will work. But you are buying a motherboard that uses triple channel ram. So buy the ram that is made for it to get the best results and speed. You can buy 3 packs of dual channel and make 2 kits of triple channel if that is what you want to do. But i prefer to buy a matched set of triple channel. And it is cheap to being with.

I don't know the voltage , the RAm come from Dell PC studio XPS 435MT .

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_K
View Post

hi killer , maybe you are right , I just checked back to core i7 970 , and it's only support RAM channel 3 .

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
a i7 will run in dual channel mode. I had a stick of my triple channel die on me and I didn't know for a while. One day I just happened to notice that my system said it had 4 GB not 6 GB. I did some investigating and found out what stick of ram had died. I had been running in 2 channel mode and didn't even know it.

To be honest I didn't even notice a performance decrease.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by batista11b5
View Post

the PSU still work good , because i just moved it from the old PC

Just because the PSU worked with the old system, doesn't mean it isn't dead -now.-

I agree it sounds like a dead PSU or maybe a dead mobo.

I have a question: Did you put the brass standoffs in the case BEFORE you installed the motherboard? Cause that sorta sounds exactly like the problem here..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity
View Post

Just because the PSU worked with the old system, doesn't mean it isn't dead -now.-

I agree it sounds like a dead PSU or maybe a dead mobo.

I have a question: Did you put the brass standoffs in the case BEFORE you installed the motherboard? Cause that sorta sounds exactly like the problem here..

+Hi , is "brass standoffs" mean "screw" ? .I'm sorry, I don't really know that word . If it's screw , I put my mobo to the case first , then use 9 screws to glue it into the case . IF i mean wrong , please correct me .
+But I just read back Core i7 970 spec , and it require triple channel RAM , so that's why it caused that problem , I think so .

Edit : omg , just did some searh about brass standoffs , now I know that im a noob , so I have to unscrew then install brass standoffs before install mobo , many thanks

Thanks

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Hi , is "brass standoffs" mean "screw" ? .I'm sorry, I don't really know that word . If it's screw , I put my mobo to the case first , then use 9 screws to glue it into the case . IF i mean wrong , please correct me . thanks

That's your problem, then.

There should be some small brass "screws" but unlike normal screws they have a threaded hole in the top. Think they're hexagonal. Look through the packages that came with your case.

Their purpose is to keep your motherboard from shorting out against the steel case. Since you didn't install them, that's what happened. Your motherboard is likely dead.

You're supposed to install the standoffs, then lay the motherboard on top of them, and put screws through the motherboard into the standoffs. This ties your motherboard in place, and keeps it a few millimeters away from the case.

Edit: There's a picture of them here: http://www.mountainmods.com/brass-mo...ack-p-203.html

You edited your post after I got that typed up:
Quote:

View Post

+Hi , is "brass standoffs" mean "screw" ? .I'm sorry, I don't really know that word . If it's screw , I put my mobo to the case first , then use 9 screws to glue it into the case . IF i mean wrong , please correct me .
+But I just read back Core i7 970 spec , and it require triple channel RAM , so that's why it caused that problem , I think so .

Thanks

NO. i7s do NOT REQUIRE triple channel RAM. They will work perfectly fine with a single or dual channel set up. Not installing the brass standoffs is definitely your problem. They are not optional.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank for helping me , I just tried back , the light and fan are on and running , whole mobo still work good ,but the monitor no signal , I'm sure 100% that I connected everything correctly such as " CPU fan still run , GPU fan still run , and RAM light and mobo light are on . But monitor no signal . please help me . thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts